• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to old client as direcr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to old client as direcr

An old client wants me back, I did work for them 2 years ago on the IT side and I got the work through an agent. The new gig at my old client is on the business side this time so not IT. The new client want me to go direct which Im fine with that but whats the implications regarding the agent, isnt there generally some rule of x years before they are out of the picture ? The old client approached me directly, I would not of mentioned it to my agent but today I got email from my agent saying there was potentially some work at my old client and I'm pretty sure its the gig I have been approached directly about. I could do without pissing off the agent as they are preferred supplier for most of my potential clients.
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 18 September 2009, 10:00.

I think you are fine, do you have the old contract to see what was in it.

Normally that period is 3/6 months ...

Comment

Some contracts state you mustnt go back within 12 months. Never heard of one saying 2 years though.

If the pcg really want credibility, they really should get off their fat ******* lazy arses and get this particular bit of agency shyte confined to the dustbin.

Dont hold your breath though because they only want to play politics with government. Lazy *****.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Thing is you could be out of this period that people mention but at end of day you could still p*ss your agent off. Contracts are one thing, business relationships are another. Difficult situation that one.

I am interested to know what people think but would an agent really not put you forward for a role your suitable for just to be an arse about it?? If your suitable you get role they get comission. Not putting you forward is cutting their nose off to spite their face. Do they really do this???? Is pissing an agency off really so detrimental in the long run?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What does your old contract say?

Even if it says 2 years (or more), it would most probably be ignored by the courts as an unreasonable condition and an abuse of a dominant position in the relationship. It may be worth getting the client to check that they have nothing in their old agreements with the agency that stops it though.

I wouldn't bother saying anything to the agent, and just go direct.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

We are not in the slave trade and an agency can't own you.

2 years is plenty of time.

Comment

I believe it is one year max, no longer than that.
              How would the agency know anyway?

I used another agency once only just within the 12month clause and I got a kick back for doing so by the new agency when I told them I should really be goiing through old agency. The client no longer wanted to use old agency. All agencies will put the clause in their contracts but they`ll all gladly snatch you away from another agency when you return to a previous client if they can. I did get a call from the original agency and I told them I had returned to client on a different project - I like to take risks and apart from asking a few more questions they were fine with it although I`ve not heard a thing from them since

Keep quite about it and they won`t know
              Last edited by SuperZ; 18 September 2009, 11:47.

Comment

don't worry about it.

I've done that and the pimp wasn't bothered when he found out.

Check your contract and as long as it is outside the stated period then there is nothing the pimp can do.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

nothing to worry about after 2 years. I've done the same myself and a lot sooner/behind agencies back. Just be prepared for slow turnaround on invoices.

Comment

Working...
                  X