• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agent cut, "percentage basis"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agent cut, "percentage basis"

Frequently, agents discussing a contract will claim that their compensation is a fixed percentage relative to my own rate, and therefore they are on my side and want to get the best rate possible for me. At the same time they actually try to get my rate down as far as they can. So I generally assume that they are just trying to push out their margin at both ends, while misleading me as to what they are doing.

My question is: are there any actual instances where clients do hold agents to this "fixed percentage" model?

Originally posted by protractor View Post
    My question is: are there any actual instances where clients do hold agents to this "fixed percentage" model?
    Yes.

Comment

Yes. I checked with one of my clients (where a percentage margin was being claimed) so this could be true. It was low percentage as well. Tee hee
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Its very common in IBs.

Comment

It's a common enough model when the client is large, has a PSL and uses a fair bit of resource.

Comment

Yes, my clientco has this open-book/fixed terms relationship with the agency.

Comment

Yes this does happen sometimes.

However you are right to be suspicious that the agent might be "trying it on".

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
                Yes this does happen sometimes.

However you are right to be suspicious that the agent might be "trying it on".
                I think you can look at this a number of ways. Sometimes the recruiter doesn't have the budget to get you in and get their margin right (and whilst they can take a cut, it doesn't make their boss very happy ) so they're squeezing you in order to shoehorn you in.

I do use the "more you get the more I get" line quite regularly, and often because I want the interim to feel confident that I am looking for the best deal for them - even if I don't have terms agreed. But rest assured, right at this moment, every single client asks what margin we're charging, and lying to them is quite simply counter productive - most people get chatting in the pub within a week and tell the client their rate anyway - Whenever I use that line, and I haven't got terms in place, I quote our highest possible rate - that way I know I can still make the deal happen, without impacting the rate agreed with the contractor. It's swings and roundabouts for me personally - sometimes the maths turn around to 15%, sometimes they get to 25%, but as long as the interim is happy and the client is happy, there shouldn't really be a problem what the margin is. It only ever gets nasty when the contractor turns out to be a lemon.

TAV
                "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                X