• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it possible to get 'market rate' info from agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to get 'market rate' info from agencies?

I'm discussing some possible work directly with a client - an old boss set up for himself and gave me a call. The work is on a oldish system (C++, COM, MFC, PL/SQL) and in my area (NE) I don't particularly know what going rates are... I normally work remotely for clients elsewhere in the world.

I'm not after screwing them for every penny, just interested in approx market rate. I obviously don't want to under-value massively but I also don't want to look silly asking double what they might reckon if they're after £200/day contractors.
    I wondered if I phone a couple of agents on behalf of MyCo and say "what would it cost me to hire a decent C++ dev", are they likely to tell me or are they wary for reverse-fishing ruses?
    Last edited by d000hg; 10 September 2009, 16:27.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm discussing some possible work directly with a client - an old boss set up for himself and gave me a call. The work is on a oldish system (C++, COM, MFC, PL/SQL) and in my area (NE) I don't particularly know what going rates are... I normally work remotely for clients elsewhere in the world.

I'm not after screwing them for every penny, just interested in approx market rate. I obviously don't want to under-value massively but I also don't want to look silly asking double what they might reckon if they're after £200/day contractors.
    I wondered if I phone a couple of agents on behalf of MyCo and say "what would it cost me to hire a decent C++ dev", are they likely to tell me or are they wary for reverse-fishing ruses?
    Why don't you pretend you're a Clientco recruiting for one?

Nothing wrong with fishing agents....
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

itjobswatch or jobstats both provide rates

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

That's what I meant... the question is if this is the kind of info they'll give out in passing or guard as valuable in some way... I don't really want to get on their list to be called every day asking if I need more contractors

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
          itjobswatch or jobstats both provide rates
          Useful, if a little low on figures when narrowed down regionally. Are these showing what the contractor gets, or what the client pays... UK average for C++ & Java were both over £400 which seems high, no? Although Java, which has some NE results, has a NE average of £170 Vs £400+ for the UK

I figure I'll maybe suggest £325-350 since the only other contract I did up north I suggested £300 and it was agreed without any comment. It's perhaps highish for the region but then I should be able to contribute a damn sight more than any other contractor, since I worked on the project for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Good idea, more likely to get a realistic figure.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's high though... if you think about it, there's no agent cut to pay, so the client wouldn't see any difference.

Or, how about the old "What did you have in mind?" question, followed by I was thinking £x*, why don't we say £y - where y is the figure you really want...

* do a little pause at this point... they may well blurt out "Ok then" and you get even more money...!
              In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Market rate is one notch down from "no".
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarky View Post
                  Or, how about the old "What did you have in mind?" question, followed by I was thinking £x*, why don't we say £y - where y is the figure you really want...

* do a little pause at this point... they may well blurt out "Ok then" and you get even more money...!
                  Yeah that could work. I'm just a little worried about the "familiarity effect" where he is biased knowing what I used to earn a few years back. No idea if that's a justified concern though, anyone had similar situations?

Comment

Working...
                  X