• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current Rates = Ticking Timebomb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weemster View Post
    If you need the money then you do the job regardless of rate.
    I wouldn't though - I'd just take a courier job to tide me over till the rates improved. I'm not giving anyone my skills for peanuts.
    Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
    "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
    Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
      I wouldn't though - I'd just take a courier job to tide me over till the rates improved. I'm not giving anyone my skills for peanuts.
      yes but a courier today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow will turn you into a courier, unless you'be coding at night! I know that if I jump onto something totally unrelated I'll never get back to this land of bits and bytes... maybe you're different.

Comment

Originally posted by cs# View Post
        yes but a courier today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow will turn you into a courier, unless you'be coding at night! I know that if I jump onto something totally unrelated I'll never get back to this land of bits and bytes... maybe you're different.
        My feelings exactly.

Been on the bench a few months now, but have spent probably 30-35% of that time improving my coding skills. Gets a bit depressing - coding for free - but you kid yourself it will come in useful one day...

And then I get to this week: two job offers, both very decent rates, both Investment Banking.

The agent pretty much thought I wouldn't stand a chance for role #2, as other people were "being put forward at a much lower rate." Well, turned out even pushing the rate wasn't a problem. I think the market is now - slowly - turning back our way.

Nomadd
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm in a the situation the OP describes, there are 6 contractors in a team of 9 and the last one to complain vociferously about the rate wasn't renewed at the last round.

Best to sit tight and see what happens, the supposed upturn could be 12-18 months away maybe even longer??? We are exposed to the market like it not.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

But even £10 an hour is worse than an £18,000 salaried job if you did it for 46 weeks a year. Are you really saying that an ex-contractor could not get a job paying this?

If I lived down south and was facing this then I would be suicidal.

Van driving pays more.

Comment

A seasoned contractor can't just take a permy role to get through the bad times, the hiring bosses have long and prejudiced memories.

I've tried and and narrowly failed on two accounts because the hirer assumed a 3 year stint at the MoD must have been perm. I'll lie about it next time.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
                Er nope. Not a good idea!

You could be doing that courier job for 6 to 9 months. Then, you may find getting back into your skillset market very difficult because you've a huge gap on your cv. OK you may be able to blag your way out of it but maybe not either.

Remember you are a business just like all the others including non IT businesses. Do you know many other businesses who have said 'sod the recession, Im not reducing my prices' and carried on? Why do you think other businesses have reduced their prices during the last 9+ months?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                X