• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Current Rates = Ticking Timebomb"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by kali View Post
    I wouldn't though - I'd just take a courier job to tide me over till the rates improved. I'm not giving anyone my skills for peanuts.
    Er nope. Not a good idea!

You could be doing that courier job for 6 to 9 months. Then, you may find getting back into your skillset market very difficult because you've a huge gap on your cv. OK you may be able to blag your way out of it but maybe not either.

Remember you are a business just like all the others including non IT businesses. Do you know many other businesses who have said 'sod the recession, Im not reducing my prices' and carried on? Why do you think other businesses have reduced their prices during the last 9+ months?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    A seasoned contractor can't just take a permy role to get through the bad times, the hiring bosses have long and prejudiced memories.

I've tried and and narrowly failed on two accounts because the hirer assumed a 3 year stint at the MoD must have been perm. I'll lie about it next time.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    But even £10 an hour is worse than an £18,000 salaried job if you did it for 46 weeks a year. Are you really saying that an ex-contractor could not get a job paying this?

If I lived down south and was facing this then I would be suicidal.

Van driving pays more.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I'm in a the situation the OP describes, there are 6 contractors in a team of 9 and the last one to complain vociferously about the rate wasn't renewed at the last round.

Best to sit tight and see what happens, the supposed upturn could be 12-18 months away maybe even longer??? We are exposed to the market like it not.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by cs# View Post
    yes but a courier today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow will turn you into a courier, unless you'be coding at night! I know that if I jump onto something totally unrelated I'll never get back to this land of bits and bytes... maybe you're different.
    My feelings exactly.

Been on the bench a few months now, but have spent probably 30-35% of that time improving my coding skills. Gets a bit depressing - coding for free - but you kid yourself it will come in useful one day...

And then I get to this week: two job offers, both very decent rates, both Investment Banking.

The agent pretty much thought I wouldn't stand a chance for role #2, as other people were "being put forward at a much lower rate." Well, turned out even pushing the rate wasn't a problem. I think the market is now - slowly - turning back our way.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• cs#
    replied
    Originally posted by kali View Post
    I wouldn't though - I'd just take a courier job to tide me over till the rates improved. I'm not giving anyone my skills for peanuts.
    yes but a courier today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow will turn you into a courier, unless you'be coding at night! I know that if I jump onto something totally unrelated I'll never get back to this land of bits and bytes... maybe you're different.

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    If you need the money then you do the job regardless of rate.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by weemster View Post
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I am going back to a place I left in January when they offered me an extension with a 15% drop. I was totally honest with them at the time and said I would not work for less than X, they are now offering me more than X. Honesty is the best policy and I find people in the business don't mind an honest money grabbing bastard, they know where they stand with them.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by George Parr View Post

£8.50ph then effectively becomes the going rate for the job until there are no more deperados left. Sad but true.
    Hence why contractors should be putting something aside to avoid the desperado situation, rates might rise quicker.

I don`t buy this "but if we don`t take the low rates the jobs will be off-shored" rubbish. If offshorihg is in the frame they`d be looking at that option anyway. Iknow none of my clients over the last x years would consider offshoring just because contracotrs won`t accept a desperado rate.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I saw a support monkey role (1st/2nd line) being advertised at £8.50/h the other day....

... and some desperado will have taken it by now no doubt

Well, if he is unemployed he will take it up. It's five times better than the dole.

£8.50ph then effectively becomes the going rate for the job until there are no more deperados left. Sad but true.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    hth,
    tl
    missed that one...

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No one has mentioned reputation.
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Desperate contractor keeps looking for better rate on offer and although he would never do this normally he cannot work for peanuts so jumps ship or just does not extend, making contractor look bad and effecting his reputation.
    hth,
    tl

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    No one has mentioned reputation.

If an agent is willing to make hay while the sun shines for a quick buck then so be it.

My industry is nicher than a niche thing with niche bits on it.

Maintaining a long standing relationship is just as important now as it was before the economic crisis. Taking advantage of clients is not going to keep you in business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X