• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoicing and payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoicing and payment

I've just discovered that an invoice I raised (or failed to raise) 10 months ago was never paid. The agency involved states on their website that invoices might be submitted within 6 weeks for payment to be made, although I do not see anything in my actually contract to this effect.

Are agencies legally able to make such a rule or are they bound to pay an invoice for work completed no matter how long after the invoice is sent?

Originally posted by TIMONLINE View Post
    Are agencies legally able to make such a rule or are they bound to pay an invoice for work completed no matter how long after the invoice is sent?
    They are legally bound to pay. As long as you fulfilled you contract responsibilities to the client, and you have proof - normally in the form of signed timesheets - the agency must pay.

Mind you, how on earth did you miss an invoice not being paid!

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Mind you, how on earth did you miss an invoice not being paid!
      Sounds like he's not even sure if he raised it in the first place which is even more shocking!

Comment

Originally posted by TIMONLINE View Post
        I've just discovered that an invoice I raised (or failed to raise) 10 months ago was never paid. The agency involved states on their website that invoices might be submitted within 6 weeks for payment to be made, although I do not see anything in my actually contract to this effect.

Tell the agency that you had sent them an invoice on <insert date here> and just found out via an audit that it has not been paid. Ask them if they have the invoice... if not, send them a certified copy and hope for the best.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

IANAL, but it would seem to be an unfair contract term and probably unenforceable. You can't expect anyone to work for nothing, and they'll have been paid by the client. In fact, it could be argued, that if they realised you hadn't invoiced them, and made no effort to contact you, that they've commited theft.

That's if you hadn't raised the invoice.

Personally, I'd always assume I had raised it - unless I knew differently.
          Last edited by NotAllThere; 7 September 2009, 10:54.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You have 6 years to prove the debt, if I understand Statute of Limitations correctly

Comment

Working...
            X