• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choice of 4 umbrella companies which one????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice of 4 umbrella companies which one????

ive been told i can only choose between 3 umbrella companies for my next contract. i have been using crystal umbrella which were fine but are not acepted my this agency. the 3 are:
    jsa (giant)
    parasol
    ive used parasol before but not too keen as i think they ripped me off abit.

any suggestions?

cheers

Why use an umbrella? You do realise it's the most expensive way there is to go contracting? Come to that, why let someone else dictate how you run your business?

Have a search on the names through these boards. You will find as many people saying XXX is brilliant as there are saying XXX is dreadful. If all else fails, go for the one that charges the lowest fees.
    Last edited by malvolio; 4 September 2009, 09:57.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This is Hays yeah?

They told me the same thing…..to be fair, they said this upfront before they even put me forward for the role. What they DIDN’T tell me, was that you also have the choice of using your own limited company, I only found that out in last couple of months I was there.

From the list above, I used oxygen 360….pretty good..invoices submitted by Monday were cleared in my account by Friday.

Comment

yeah hays , think the reason i got less with parasol is because they offset expenses monthly instead of weekly so doesnt work out right.

will give 360 a ring see what they have to offer,

cheers

Comment

Bollocks to that! Tell 'em its your co and nothing else. Umbrella's are leeches.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
            ive been told i can only choose between 3 umbrella companies for my next contract. i have been using crystal umbrella which were fine but are not acepted my this agency. the 3 are:
            jsa (giant)
            parasol

any suggestions?

cheers
            forget all the above you have named.

www.danbro.co.uk [email protected] 01253 600141 (brett Mariani)

I use Danbro and hays use them as i am with hays.

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
              jsa (giant)
              parasol

any suggestions?

cheers
              I would ignore the tiresome posters who constantly post saying you must use a Ltd Co and not an Umbrella. Brollies have a place in contracting ( I have used brollies and Ltd) and have been useful and effective to thousands of contractors. Accountants can be expensive if you want them to do VAT, 2 payrolls etc as well as annual return. I had a quote of £140 a month recently which is a joke. Brollies are only a small fraction of this and hence very useful if you have periods on the bench as you only pay when you earn.

Like you I didn't find Parasol particularly good, most recently I used Atlantic who were fine, have all the dispensations and follow the rules carefully. My favourites were Norla but they have now stopped their brolly service.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                Brollies have a place in office temping ( I have used brollies and Ltd) and have been useful and effective to thousands of office temps.
                Now put the kettle on Sandra and i've got a nice stack of photocopying for you afterwards, there's a good girl, pat, pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                  I would ignore the tiresome posters who constantly post saying you must use a Ltd Co and not an Umbrella. Brollies have a place in contracting ( I have used brollies and Ltd) and have been useful and effective to thousands of contractors. Accountants can be expensive if you want them to do VAT, 2 payrolls etc as well as annual return. I had a quote of £140 a month recently which is a joke. Brollies are only a small fraction of this and hence very useful if you have periods on the bench as you only pay when you earn.

Like you I didn't find Parasol particularly good, most recently I used Atlantic who were fine, have all the dispensations and follow the rules carefully. My favourites were Norla but they have now stopped their brolly service.
                  Another good reason why people use umbrellas. Accountacncy fees. I mean £140 a month is iniquitous (it's also out by a factor of 50% burt let's not argue that point).

So 15% net income gain through YourCo on the average £300 a month contract over 6 months is (300*120) * 0.15 = £5400. Take off £100 a month difference between acountancy and umbrella fees (although there's a wild over-estimate IME), you only gain £4800 tax free net. So, what was your point again?

Argue on convenience, fear or IR35, laziness or ignorance of the rules, but not the finanicals. They don't work.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hays and Big Blue?

Is it also for BB? 'Waiting for a PO' by anychance?
                    Just sliding through ..........

Comment

Working...
                    X