• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract but no start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract but no start date

Just wondered if anyone else has had an experience of this?

I've been offered a job, indeed have a contract, but the client said I couldn't start last friday (for a tuesday start), due to some US paperwork.

Agent has sent me back my signed contract, but without the client starting where does that leave me?

Should I be looking for another job? Had alot of bad experience last winter with jobs being offered and not actually getting to contract stage!

This is one of those damn hard to get test management positions.

Originally posted by spud View Post
    Just wondered if anyone else has had an experience of this?

I've been offered a job, indeed have a contract, but the client said I couldn't start last friday (for a tuesday start), due to some US paperwork.

Agent has sent me back my signed contract, but without the client starting where does that leave me?

Should I be looking for another job? Had alot of bad experience last winter with jobs being offered and not actually getting to contract stage!

This is one of those damn hard to get test management positions.
    Send them a reply stating that you will start on <date> and your first invoice will be raised on <date+7 days>. That should concentrate their minds, especially if you have not Opted Out, as they are obliged to pay you, regardless of whether the client has paid them or not.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      if you have not Opted Out, as they are obliged to pay you, regardless of whether the client has paid them or not.
      that's only true if you've done some work for which to be paid.

"Where does it leave me?" is that you are in possession of a framework agreement that sets out the terms under which work is to be done, but with no work requested. A bit like having a credit card that you haven't used yet, or something.

Comment

A contract with no start date is, frankly, no contract at all. Assuming the contract is even slightly well written, until you're actually on-site doing work then regard it as no more than a statement of intent and certainly don't stop looking for work because of it.

Comment

Working...
        X