• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two jobs at once? (overlap)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Holiday doesn't count. The Friday is the last day they can claim you were actually expected to do anything for them, since the Holiday is yours to do what you want with anyway.

There is no loss to them, you are not working on the contract when they could reasonably expect you to have been doing anything productive for them. Start the contract and don't worry about it.
    Thanks Dave. I didn't realise that.

Comment

I was in the same position 6 years ago.

I was being made redundant and was on garden leave until the end of February.

I was offered a contract position which was to start the first week of February (this is roughly the same overlap period as you have).

The person for whom I was starting the contract was fully aware that I was on garden leave. We agreed that I would start the contract but that I would need to have a couple of hours off to go back to my previous employer for the official good bye (redundancy letter, entitlements etc).

You can imagin how amusing getting made redundant was

I never mentioned to the origional employer that I had started the contract as the fact that I was on garden leave meant they didn't require my services anyway.

So, for the final 3 weeks I was paid by the original employer and also paid on contract.

No fiddle I paid paye with the employer and started my 1st contract with an umbrella company and also paid paye.

No issues or comeback from anyone.

Still contracting but now with my own Ltd Company, hope this helps.

Comment

If your employment contract has some valid handcuff clause preventing you working for the competition and your new contract position is with the competition, then you could be sued for whatever loss your employer could claim.

You might find that your employer stops paying you if you take up a new contract, as you could be in breach of your employment contract.

Best thing - keep quiet, take the money. Other than the contractual terms, there's nothing amiss with having multiple employers.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          If your employment contract has some valid handcuff clause preventing you working for the competition and your new contract position is with the competition, then you could be sued for whatever loss your employer could claim.

You might find that your employer stops paying you if you take up a new contract, as you could be in breach of your employment contract.

Best thing - keep quiet, take the money. Other than the contractual terms, there's nothing amiss with having multiple employers.
          Different sector. so not competition. Really wishing I hadn't phoned him now. So much for trying to be above board with everything. Will not mention it again and see what happens...

Comment

I had a two month overlap when I got made redundant and put out to pasture. Nobody knew, cared or found out. Just paid the tax on all the earnings like a good boy and pocketed the rest.

Comment

Working...
            X