• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first bad experience as a contractor - Investment Banking - Ho Hum *LONG POST*

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would hunt him down on social sites get as much dirt you can, even set him up with a hooker and then have a quiet word but I AM evil and have been told I go to extreme lengths if someone tries to piss me off. Its always got me what I want though...but Im a nasty bit of work if you piss me off--- but theyve all deserved it to date!

In this situ - Id have turned it around - id have asked him how many steps it has taken him from his office to your desk - and if he didnt know - why not? he has been walking the floor for years! Point being He doesnt need to know how many steps - he just needs to know how to get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
      In this situ - Id have turned it around - id have asked him how many steps it has taken him from his office to your desk - and if he didnt know - why not? he has been walking the floor for years! Point being He doesnt need to know how many steps - he just needs to know how to get there!
      WHS

As I said earlier in this thread: fight fire with fire. If you don't, you'll end up with a lifetime of s-h-i-t-e coming in your direction.

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        I can relate to most things that have been said here about working in IB.

On my first IB contract, 14 years ago, the boss used to stand behind me while I coded, he also used to go looking for anyone that spent more than 2 mins in the toilet. Oh yes, and he had a very bad "wind" problem that used to put me off my lunch . But I put up with it for what was a lot of money in those days. He had a side-kick who used to throw tantrums like a spoilt kid.

The worst thing is when you're on a long-term contract, everyone in the team gets on and then a psycho manager comes in who's job it is to make "cost savings". Happened to me at a certain bank. The idiot suggested we have "satellite" offices around the M25 to cut costs. He then brought in a bunch of Russians from a consultancy who couldnt code if their lives depended on it. Then he had a bright idea that every minute change had to go through a procedure with wads of documentation. His catchphrase was "be professional" and some people may recognise him from that.

Funny thing was, he was brought in before my old boss was given the chop and sat at his desk quietly until that day. Once old boss was gone, Dr Jekyll quickly became Mr Hyde.

Then theres some great moments when you are told that youre "not performing", when in-fact there is no work do be done or you have been sidelined onto a boring legacy support project.

And of course, working long hours and weekends is mandatory, even if there is nothing to do. Impressions (and not quality of work) count.

Arrogant and bullying behaviour is par for the course in IB. Just keep your head down, accept the work that the permies dont want to do and earn the big bucks whilst you can. At the same time, plan for the day when you have enough money to do something else and that inevitable black bin-liner lands on your desk or you are dismissed by text message/fax/agency call.
        is that REALLY worth it? it's just digging yourself an early grave man

Comment

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this type of management before and how they coped with it.
          I've had something similar, the MD would say to me (in an open plan office)
          "Who the f*** are you? What the f*** are you doing? I want a hand written A4 sheet of paper by Friday explaining exactly what you are doing."

I was told by the permies in the office that as soon as he walks in you've got to pick up the phone and dial the talking clock, and pretend you're having a conversation.

He was a very bad man. If a senior manager was sick, he would get his P.A. to drive round to their street and watch their house to check they hadn't gone out for the day.

The long term affect is he made some of the permie staff develop stress related problems (e.g. gastritis). If you get anything like that happening I would terminate the contract a.s.a.p.

Comment

"Who the f*** are you? What the f*** are you doing? I want a hand written A4 sheet of paper by Friday explaining exactly what you are doing."

I was told by the permies in the office that as soon as he walks in you've got to pick up the phone and dial the talking clock, and pretend you're having a conversation.

He was a very bad man. If a senior manager was sick, he would get his P.A. to drive round to their street and watch their house to check they hadn't gone out for the day.

The long term affect is he made some of the permie staff develop stress related problems (e.g. gastritis). If you get anything like that happening I would terminate the contract a.s.a.p.
            Why didn't all the staff leave?

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
              Unusual management style. Was that just a random attack on a random contractor (you)? Or was there some history to it?

Comment

Why didn't all the staff leave?
                I think it was because having a common enemy brought all the staff a lot closer together, there was never any office politics and everyone was extremely nice to each other. Plus he owned a few other companies so wasn't always in the office.

Unusual management style. Was that just a random attack on a random contractor (you)? Or was there some history to it?
                He would attack and humiliate everyone about there work and appearance (IIRC there were a couple of harassment cases against him prior to me being there).

He was so bad that his P.A. would have to pre-warn customers that he can suffer from violent mood swings. Basically he was a big guy, who drove a big car and thought he was king of the hill.

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

If anyone - and I mean anyone - ever spoke to me like that in an office I'd ask them to "step outside for a word." Once outside, I simply ask them to repeat themselves, first mentioning that they'd be picking their teeth up off the floor if they dared. Admittedly, I'm six feet four inches tall and take care of myself physically, but I really can't understand why any human being would put up with that sort of behaviour. Office workers sicken me at times, they really do.

I guess it depends on your background, too. I grew up in a pretty tough neighbourhood, single parent family, and worked on many tough engineering "workshop floors" before going into IT and "office" work. If you'd have dared talking to someone like this on a typical workshop floor you'd find yourself in hospital pretty quick.

As I've said on this thread: these office bullies are chickens. Stand up and take them on directly, or forever suffer the consequences (which usually extend well beyond the workplace...)

Nomadd
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I think it was because having a common enemy brought all the staff a lot closer together, there was never any office politics and everyone was extremely nice to each other. Plus he owned a few other companies so wasn't always in the office.

He would attack and humiliate everyone about there work and appearance (IIRC there were a couple of harassment cases against him prior to me being there).

He was so bad that his P.A. would have to pre-warn customers that he can suffer from violent mood swings. Basically he was a big guy, who drove a big car and thought he was king of the hill.

That's unbelievable.....

Anyway it seems they are definitely 2 schools of thought going down here...

1. Fire with Fire (Eye for an Eye)
                    2. Rise above it (internally), keep smiling, keep working hard, and get those timesheets signed

I think there could be a 3rd.....being a mix of the two? Although as we're in a recession and I haven't nearly built enough in my war chest I am plucking for option 2 as the consequences of option could cause me some grief....

Either way I've kick started the week and feel better about the whole thing.

Thanks again for all the views expressed here so far...

KL
                    "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

scumbag, don't worry, as my gran says God ain't sleeping that guy will get what's coming to him

rulers of nations and empires have been dethroned, this guy is chicken feed in comparison
                      Last edited by contractor79; 1 September 2009, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X