• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why did you get into contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not always, and when we do, it is often due mainly to costs being borne by the contractor rather than the client: the contractor then puts a lot of effort into minimising these costs, and profits from that. For example, if you employ me and send me away on business, I will want a decent hotel. If it's my money, I want a cheap hotel!
    Plus the outrageous cost of fairly average quality meals in a hotel. Even as a permie I would seek out good quality pub grub instead.

Another one - company cars, when the tax system meant that you were a either a fool or had other overriding considerations to turn down the offer of a company car. I always thought it absurd to have a company car worth half or more of my mortgage, especially if you ended up with something you wouldn't have bought yourself. Gimme a pay rise instead so I can put it into a better house or pay the mortgage off early, please.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    By the way I don't think there is much to be gained by discussing the exact term for our activity, and I note that most of us are called contractors now, but we were all called freelancers when I started over 30 years ago. I suspect that the term has fallen from use because it carries the implication that the person is responsible for his own work, and perhaps clients and agents do not like that idea.
    Sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by Sysman; 19 August 2009, 13:07.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Close but no cigar.

Maybe ....
      Auto news - journo?

Motor manufacturer?
      Ford
      GM
      VW

Or maybe even a mild-mannered police station janitor

Comment

Originally posted by R6steve View Post
        Close but no cigar.

Maybe ....
        Auto news - journo?

Motor manufacturer?
        Ford
        GM
        VW

Or maybe even a mild-mannered police station janitor
        LOL! R6

In "The beer in Wolfsburg is too fizzy" mode
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          LOL! R6

In "The beer in Wolfsburg is too fizzy" mode
          Or the best named car auto parts site in the world 'Carnoisseur'.

As a marketing genius myself I can see what a great name this really is.

Comment

Originally posted by R6steve View Post
            Or the best named car auto parts site in the world 'Carnoisseur'.

As a marketing genius myself I can see what a great name this really is.
            Just the place for a white XR3i.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Just the place for a white XR3i.
              600w speaker system, a little too much for listening to BBC Radio 4, it make it sound like Evan Davis was shouting, who I was shocked to see is 47, I thought he was much younger, odd looking fellow, great presenter though.

Comment

Working...
              X