• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prince2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince2

Me thinking of taking up the Prince2 foundation exam.
    Any pointers to some free resources that can help crack the exam?

I just read the book and did the practice questions that I got when I booked the exam. It was a pretty straight forward exam.

Comment

Originally posted by *Alterego View Post
      I just read the book and did the practice questions that I got when I booked the exam. It was a pretty straight forward exam.
      The Foundation is multiple choice at quite an easy standard. If you read the book a couple of times and pick out key words and phrases you will be okay. This may mean that you pass the exam, but not necessarily mean you understand the principles. It depends on the purpose for doing the exam - CV enhancing or understanding how to use.

Comment

Agreed. If it is for enhancing a CV then having the foundation says ok you have a basic understanding. Those who want to fully understand the principles and apply it in their day-to-day work will take the Practitioner.

I found the Prince2 Practitioner exam fairly difficult and you do really have to understand the underlying principles. I think having that qualification on your CV is proof of the deeper knowledge of the subject and I have found recruitment consultants ask which level of certificate I have.

Comment

Prince Foundation

Make sure you take before end of December, looks like overdue revamp then:

http://www.prince2.com/prince2-foundation-exam.asp

Do a few searches for past sample exam papers, these can really help, simple straightforward exam.

Good Luck!

Comment

Agreed. If it is for enhancing a CV then having the foundation says ok you have a basic understanding. Those who want to fully understand the principles and apply it in their day-to-day work will take the Practitioner.

I found the Prince2 Practitioner exam fairly difficult and you do really have to understand the underlying principles. I think having that qualification on your CV is proof of the deeper knowledge of the subject and I have found recruitment consultants ask which level of certificate I have.
            Thanks Alterego.Could you let me know the name of the book that needs studying please?

Comment

Originally posted by valluvan View Post
              Could you let me know the name of the book that needs studying please?
              "Managing Projects Using PRINCE2" (and not "Directing Projects Using PRINCE2").
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hi valluvan,

I asked a similar question a few months ago: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-2-prince.html.

Recently did the five day course including both exams (passed! yippee!). A new manual was released in July this year so make sure you got the 2009 edition (blue cover), not the 2005 edition (red cover), as apparently a few things have changed. Not sure there are many free resources out there though.

If you're used to cramming/memorising for exams from school or uni days, the Foundation exam is totally manageable with a book and practice questions alone. The Practitioner exam was kinda tough in comparison, and I'm not sure I'd have managed that without some guidance. I needed to be able to apply some of these principles in my current contract, so I wanted to get the exams, but also get the principles sorted in my head - so the week long intensive course suited me (most providers will send you the manual as part of the course materials and price).

Good luck,

maui50

Comment

Someone can probably advise but I believe the P2 Practitioner exam is now multiple choice, same as the Foundation exam. It used to be open book written answers of 3 hours duration.

Either way it is not that difficult if you familiarise yourself with the book and which sections are contained where.
                  Last edited by kaiser78; 15 August 2009, 19:30. Reason: typo

Comment

I would advise Amazon for the book. Seems to be the cheapest place to purchase:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Suc...0409101&sr=8-1

The website also sells it and advises of other texts to read:

http://www.apmgroup.co.uk/home/home.asp

Hope that helps!

I should add yes the Practitioner is now multiple choice.
                    Last edited by Hawkeye; 16 August 2009, 07:59.

Comment

Working...
                    X