• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chasing unpaid invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chasing unpaid invoices

I've searched and read the old threads before anyone asks !!!

I'm having a problem with an unpaid invoice, I left the job 3 weeks ago, there was work to do but no money in the budget, I documented my work and handed over making it clear there was still work to do and why it wasn't possible to finish things at that stage.

My contract is direct to a small consultancy. No payment arrived so I started chasing via emails and unanswered phone calls. Still no direct contact but the agent who placed me has relayed some one liner emails that make no real sense but claiming some money is on it's way, but it's not arrived yet. The hazy reason for non payment appears to be the work has not been tested and signed off, which I know !

My vibe is the debt chasing outfits will be a waste of space in this case.

Has anybody out there personal experience of going down the legal route and serving a statutory demand and all that follows. After chatting to a solicitor mate, for the level of debt involved I'd be looking at doing this myself rather than through solicitors for the reason of costs and what I'd likely get out of it.

I'm in PCG+ and have spoken to the legal line but looking for other opinions. The agency £7,500 insurance for bust agencies is no good as I'm direct to a consultancy, so they've told me, I don' t think solvency is a problem at this stage but may be at some stage.

www.payontime.co.uk

Surely you spotted that one...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      www.payontime.co.uk

Surely you spotted that one...
      Never heard of em !

I think they'll just ignore it, spoke to the PCG recommended debt chasers also.

Tactic options are:

1. Wait and see with quiet diplomacy
      2. Threaten to casue chaos ringing up end client bosses and shouting a lot
      3. payontime or similar
      4. Go full legal route
      5. Get the baseball bat out

Comment

3 weeks is nothing. Keep up the pressure by phone until 3 months is up, then take it further.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          3 weeks is nothing. Keep up the pressure by phone until 3 months is up, then take it further.
          I think there is a good chance they'll be kicked off the site and possibly bust by then so option 2 would lose it's power. Option 2 is nasty but I suspect could be effective, but could lead to baseball bats chasing me.

Saying that the constant phone call method worked wonders in my time as a landlord chasing debts, one at 9am, and one at 5pm as they sat down for tea, every day without fail and they eventually cracked.
          Last edited by rootsnall; 14 August 2009, 10:44.

Comment

If the amount is £5K or less, you can file a small claims court action for around £30
            The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
              If the amount is £5K or less, you can file a small claims court action for around £30
              It is more than that. Can you do this as a Ltd Co against a Ltd Co ? I'll read up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

Never heard of em !
                So why didn't you click and find out?

It's not a "them". It's a government backed website telling you the rules regarding late payments. There is no "service" on offer (at least there wasn't last time I looked)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  It is more than that. Can you do this as a Ltd Co against a Ltd Co ? I'll read up on it.
                  It's more than 30K!

Don't you think you need to be engaging a professional (and no, I don't mean a debt chasing company)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                    So why didn't you click and find out?

It's not a "them". It's a government backed website telling you the rules regarding late payments. There is no "service" on offer (at least there wasn't last time I looked)

tim
                    I know who they are after reading old threads, read the original message which was pre-empting Malvolio, and the subsequent wink from Malvolio. I just don't think it'll work in this case but I may give it a whirl.

It's 10Kish. A tricky figure in that lawyers will quickly eat it away. I've spoke to a solicitor mate and he advised do it myself for that reason. The problem is if costs on their side climb and you don't win a straight vistory. I've now properly read up on County V Small Claims etc

Gentle persuasion for a while yet !

Comment

Working...
                    X