• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 job offers problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 job offers problem

What do you do, if you want the 2nd job that may offer but have got a firm offer from the less desirable one but don't want to cheese off the less desirable firm as I may need them in the future as I work in a niche market?

I had a similar situation where I had interviews lined up for two roles, the second was much more attractive so I didn't give my all in the first interview.

The second one then fell through and I ended up with neither, I would more than happily take the first now.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

How optimistic are you that the job that you really want will make you an offer.

Have you tried chasing them to saythat if they want you then you need to know now.

Can you stall on the 2nd job? Make some excuse to go dark for a couple of days. (mobile lost)

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
        What do you do, if you want the 2nd job that may offer but have got a firm offer from the less desirable one but don't want to cheese off the less desirable firm as I may need them in the future as I work in a niche market?
        You make your own mind up. Given no-one on these boards know you, your market, the clients, etc etc etc, the value of any advice here is very low...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Tell job #2 that you have an offer from job #1. You are very interested, but a bird in the hand..... I did that and they went from CV submission to offer (after a telephone chat) in under 5 days.

If you're in a niche market, it's pointless playing funny buggers, just be honest....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Situation is that I'm due to go for a final HR interview with company 1 who I did a technical face to face with last week. I'm 80% confident they'll offer as I'm painfully aware of how difficult it is to find people with the desired technical skillset. If they offer, I reckon the offer will be made at the start of next week. Company 1 started advertising the role at the start of July.

Company 2, I had a face to face HR interview yesterday during which I informed the interviewer that I'd had a face to face with company 1 last week. Company 2 I approached directly and they're in the same industry sector as my last couple of roles. The recruiter started to advertise the role via 1 agency only yesterday afternoon. The interviewer said that the manager who've I not met yet was more interested in somebody with the skills rather than the industry knowledge, however. This would greatly reduce my chances if it's true. As I was getting in to the tube station on the way out from this interview, I was rung up by company 1 informing me of the face to face later this week. I rang back company 2 to tell them that this was the situation. Company 2 don't want to be bounced in to making a hasty decision, however, as they naturally want to see other candidates first. The earliest I reckon I'd get the final interview, if they want to proceed, would be the middle/tail end of next week.

As with all roles, there's pros and cons of both but company 2 will allow me to stay in the same industry sector at the same level as I was in the last job, is close to home and is offering good money. Company 1 is unlikely to offer the same amount of money and is 1.5 hour commute each way. I don't want to upset company 1, however, as it's a small world and I may need them now or in the future.

Comment

its not that complex...
              Take one & refer me for the other..Issue solved..!!

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
                A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

You can please some of the people some of the time and not all the people
                all of the time.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                  A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

HTH
                  True, but he doesn't even have an offer, yet writes a long discourse on his imaginary 'problem' of concurrent offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    True, but he doesn't even have an offer, yet writes a long discourse on his imaginary 'problem' of concurrent offers.
                    'Tis true, but it would be a bit late in the day presenting this problem if I do get the 1st offer. I'd call it being proactive.

Comment

Working...
                    X