• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Rolling' contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Rolling' contract

What does this mean exactly??

I'm pretty sure they mean 'possible extension' rather than an ever moving end date one month from the present.

Every contract could potentially be extended, I wish agents would stop trying to polish the turds.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    What does this mean exactly??

I'm pretty sure they mean 'possible extension' rather than an ever moving end date one month from the present.

Every contract could potentially be extended, I wish agents would stop trying to polish the turds.

My take - It means that the end date hasnt been specified - contrast this with you may be given a three month contract and it will certainly not be extended due to project completion (if the project managers are on the ball) or simply budget exhaustion etc

Support contracts sometimes are of a 'rolling' nature - tend to be longer .

Comment

I was looking for another contract closer to home, they were aware of it, so at renewal, as I hadn't found another one yet, we went to a weekly rolling contract. Either party would give one week's notice.

It was a support role, and we had an excellent working relationship.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I agree with the OP. Rolling 3m contract for example is usually used to refer to a contract that about 1m before expiry is extended for a further three months. The theory is that the intention is there to keep renewing like this for a long time but there is no requirement to do so, so in practice I see no difference between a 'rolling' and a normal contract.

Never heard of a contract with no end date but that is not to say they don't exist.

Comment

Surely a contract must have a defined end date if it is to fall outside of IR35?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Never heard of a contract with no end date but that is not to say they don't exist.

The obvious example of the above is the so called 'permenant' contract - which is a misnomer as it is still subject to a termination clause so it cannot be deemed to be permenant - hmm could be a case for Trade Descriptions Act there methinks.

That said Ive had contracts with no end date specified - it does happen altough rare in the UK is more common abroad.

Comment

Are you sure it's a contract...

C++ Engineer - Basingstoke - Fixed Term Contact - £45k-£50k

This is a 6 month rolling contact with all the advantages of a permanent employee.
              http://www.jobserve.com/WD4307C25DE8EF836.jsjob

Fixed term rolling contract with all the advantages of a permanent employee eh?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Basically two types of contracts, one where you are hired for a particular project or two, once they are done you are out the door

Other is constant flow of work/projects with no foreseeable end, normally done in 3 month extensions, these can run for years (once met a guy at one place for 18 years)

Latter is what they mean by "rolling"

Ps: And yes the latter in many cases is just pretty much disguised employment

Comment

C++ Engineer - Basingstoke - Fixed Term Contact - £45k-£50k

I always dreamed one day that I would work in Basingstoke.

My prayers have been answered.

I will undertake this work for a fiver - 5.50 if my dog is required for security work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    I am pretty damn sure that a contract in UK law has to have an end date, hence the common 9,999 year lease.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X