• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter trying to invoice for perm job not taken!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a recruiter book me a flight for an interview in germany. When my plans changed and I couldn't go, he phoned me up gobbing off about how he was out of pocket and threatening me with this, that and the other.

I ended up telling him to fark off and if I ever saw him I would knock his head off his shoulders. Then I hung up on him and never heard from him again...

I suggest you do the same if they call back...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I would suggest that you let him know that it's illegal for Emp Agencies to charge people for finding them permanent work. Point him at the REC website. Then tell him to expect an invoice for your consulting services.

Comment

Tell him to **** off, cannot charge you for jack all

But on flip side, he has right to be pissed, you wasted his time and clients for job you had no real intention of taking and you probably soured his relationship with client, is it any wonder many agents will not consider contractors for permie roles?

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
          Don't worry about it. Recruitment agencies trawl the local asylum for potential recruits. I had one making threats and abusive language to me by email once for an agency affiliated to REC. He even made silent phone calls and tried ringing up with a withheld number to extract information from me about people that he could contact to presumably make malicious comments to. I didn't dare answer the door for a week.

Watch your step - Don't Open the Door
          Watch your Step - they want to settle the Score

When I came here I was Innocent
          Soon found out whan trouble meant

Now I regret the time I spent
          In your TowerBlocks and Tennaments

In this Town - you need a Bulletproof Heart

Some say this is a Dangerous Place
          Dangerous Women - lipstick face
          Men dissapear without a trace
          Stay anonymous - Hide your Face

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&emb=0&aq=f#
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 10 August 2009, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            I had a recruiter book me a flight for an interview in germany.
            How did you get them to stump up for that?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
              The problem on my part is that I verbally accepted the role
              Why? Would you sign a contract and then not turn up?

And why are you surprised the agent is upset?

You've made the agent look stupid.
              You've made contractors wanting to go permie look bad (no wonder I never get shortlisted for permie roles) to that agency.
              You've made contractors look bad to that client.
              You've reinforced the "2nd and 3rd place people need to be kept hanging on without a definitive answer in case the 1st place candidate pulls out" behaviour.

You could at least have come up with a decent fib to pacify the agent. Then he wouldn't be on your case.

"I'm really sorry but my existing client has upped my money to make me stay."
              "I'm really sorry but my missus won't move / let me work away from home."
              "I'm really sorry but I've lost my bottle, I don't think I can do the gig."
              "I'm really sorry but the interview actually went really badly for me and I could never work with the interviewer.

Or even "I'm really sorry but <insert the truth here>". That might have worked too.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
                Ok so was doing a bit of window shopping and decided against taking a perm job and holding out a bit longer

this was at the final stage. The recruiter is obviously pissed and is now trying to say he intends to charge me for wasted time

is this legal? I did not sign anything so I can't imagine it would be
                I think the agent is being perfectly reasonable. You should just offer him £10k and call it quits. The one proviso is that you also send me £10k for reading this thread. I do like a man like you, one with a social conscience.

(Now, everyone is happy and you can get on with your life knowing you've done the right thing. And that that poor agent's children won't have to starve this Christmas.)

Cheers,

Nomadd
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Similar thing happened to me once. Pimp spouted the immortal cliche "You've let the client down, you've let me down, but worst of all you've let yourself down".

Couldn't stop myself from laughing down the phone, at which point he hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    You could at least have come up with a decent fib to pacify the agent. Then he wouldn't be on your case.

Or even "I'm really sorry but <insert the truth here>". That might have worked too.
                    If you need a fib, then you ought to be ashamed, and maybe even pay up. If you're not ashamed, tell the truth. By all means apologise slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      How did you get them to stump up for that?
                      It was a permie job years ago...
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X