• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts for food and drink abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receipts for food and drink abroad

Ok. I am ona business trip to nice in France and will claim accomodation and flight

how do I claim for day to day expenses?? Do I have to provide a receipt for every bit of food I eat?

If you want to claim it, yes...

You can claim £10 a day susbsistence allowance without receipts overseas, to cover phone calls and similar trivial odds and sods. Business expenditure of any kind needs to have an audit trail. Just why is that so hard for people to understand? Or so difficult to acheive?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

You can claim £10 a day susbsistence allowance without receipts overseas, to cover phone calls and similar trivial odds and sods. Business expenditure of any kind needs to have an audit trail. Just why is that so hard for people to understand? Or so difficult to acheive?
      So food and drink require receipts in that case?

Can I claim lunch at restaurant which inculded beer as expenses?

Comment

Jeez, it's Your company you can do what you like. The only question is "Is it a BIK?", which on a business trip they almost certianly aren't. But if you have to explain withdrawals from YourCo's bank account, some form of proof would seem to be a good idea, and a receipt or CC till roll is as good as anything. If it's too much trouble to collect them, then don't f***ing claim them.

Cause and effect: it's really quite simple.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You might want to look up scale rates on the inland revenue website. This can be potentially to your advantage. IR accept scale rates for foreign travel.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Bollocks you do.

You can claim an expense even if you have no receipt. You trying to tell us all you cannot claim an expense if you lose the receipt? Or, you have to meet a client in a decent hotel \ restaurant for a meal as part of a business meeting and you get charged £50 for a drink and food you can only claim a tenner? Get to ****.

Obviously, you cant do this too often as it would look suspicious but if its an expense incurred in connection with your business, you can claim.

You need to write a 'receipt' to your co for the legitimate itemised expense, date it and sign it. That's it.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I used to go to France when it was sodding expensive in comparison with the UK, so ignored any UK guidelines. Receipts for meals and the odd (but not excessive) bit of booze were the order of the day. Note that in France they tear bar receipts to indicate that you've paid

What I did right from the start when I went freelance was to create a weekly expense claim form, split into expense categories (hotel bills, meals, petrol, fares, office equipment, sundries etc). I used that to track what was my money or MyCo's money; it formed the bulk of the inputs to the accounting package I used (Sage), and also provided an audit trail which I filed with the rest of the accounting reports. I stapled the relevant receipts to each expense form so that my accountant or the VAT man could easily find them.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Bollocks you do.

You can claim an expense even if you have no receipt. You trying to tell us all you cannot claim an expense if you lose the receipt? Or, you have to meet a client in a decent hotel \ restaurant for a meal as part of a business meeting and you get charged £50 for a drink and food you can only claim a tenner? Get to ****.

Obviously, you cant do this too often as it would look suspicious but if its an expense incurred in connection with your business, you can claim.

You need to write a 'receipt' to your co for the legitimate itemised expense, date it and sign it. That's it.
                Do you not understand the difference between "occasional unreceipted expense claim" and "why do I need to receipt anything"?

Tricky, isn't it...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X