• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agency - late payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agency - late payment

Hi all,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice as my agency haven't paid my last invoice.

I'm still in contract, and I invoice monthly in arrears. the agency appear to have had some problems getting payment from the first agent due to admin errors their end (i'm on a two tier contract!) and it would seem that they're passing this problem onto me.

the contract states same month payment - by the end of the subsequent month.

how long would anyone on here reasonably wait before mentioning material breach of contract? payment was supposed to have been recieved yesterday (end of month).

my fellow contractors at the client site have advised me simply not to turn up on monday.... but I don't want to pi$$ the client off - at the end of the day, it's my first contract and it's a great gig. but the agent has been crap.

don't you just love agents?

Originally posted by vfr_rider View Post
    Hi all,

I'm still in contract, and I invoice monthly in arrears. the agency appear to have had some problems getting payment from the first agent due to admin errors their end (i'm on a two tier contract!) and it would seem that they're passing this problem onto me.

how long would anyone on here reasonably wait before mentioning material breach of contract? payment was supposed to have been recieved yesterday (end of month).

my fellow contractors at the client site have advised me simply not to turn up on monday.... but I don't want to pi$$ the client off - at the end of the day, it's my first contract and it's a great gig. but the agent has been crap.

Personally I'd always turn up at the clients site but may be hold off putting in any more invoices/timesheets in etc until payment is received. This way if the agency does go tits up then you may be able to cut the loses.

To be honest though I probably wouldn't worry about a day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by GavM View Post
      Personally I'd always turn up at the clients site but may be hold off putting in any more invoices/timesheets in etc until payment is received. This way if the agency does go tits up then you may be able to cut the loses.

To be honest though I probably wouldn't worry about a day or two.
      WHS

Is anyone else affected? Can you nane and shame the agency?

I have been paid a day later than expected a few times (but still well within time limit). Always either wrong bank account or admin error : never malicious.

Comment

A day or two is no real issue, "tulip happens" as they say

More than week though is when you start kicking up a storm and if they give you any excuses relateing to them not receiveing payment yet, your answer should be always simply

"Nothing to do with me nor your obligation to pay me, so not my problem, pay up"

Oh yeah, in future don't accept contracts that leave you with close to 60 days exposure, stupid risk with agencys (especially in todays market) and also means agency are getting their margin for pretty much doing nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          Oh yeah, in future don't accept contracts that leave you with close to 60 days exposure, stupid risk with agencys (especially in todays market) and also means agency are getting their margin for pretty much doing nothing
          Exactly what he said.

I turned down a contract a few months back as they were trying to also offer these "30 days in arrears" terms. Quite frankly, that's taking the pi55. Agencies do bugger all in the first place, and making you wait another 30 days just to get paid is ridiculous.

I'd give them a couple of days as suggested above. Mind you, I'd also be on the blower on Monday morning telling them they have a couple of days before you have to discuss with the client why you are walking off site. That helps to both focus minds as well as leave you in the clear.

Nomadd
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Hi all,

How late is the payment? Send a polite letter to the client stating that they have 14 days to make payment, or you will start debt recovery procedures and if necessary get a CCJ against the agency.

You may wish to get a solicitors to do this in order to make it official. It may cost you a few pounds, but ask yourself... which is better? An invoice that will get paid or no work?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              WHS

Is anyone else affected? Can you nane and shame the agency?

I have been paid a day later than expected a few times (but still well within time limit). Always either wrong bank account or admin error : never malicious.
              can't name and shame - you never know who might be reading

payment (as in, cleared funds in the company bank account) was due friday.

up to this point, it's always been bang on time or even a day or two early; this makes me worry that there are, potentially, some cashflow issues their end.

In the 'complaint' email I sent, I asked for weekly invoicing from now on. I'm the only contractor on the client site who bills by calendar month, and it often causes confusion with managers during sign off, when they see partial timesheets etc.

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
              IMO this agency is getting a very high percentage cut for doing pretty much sweet FA. the more I think about it, the angrier I get

Comment

still no money...

just logged into the company account and nothing has changed

it's going to be an interesting day.

Comment

http://www.payontime.co.uk/

Comment

thanks for the replies guys.

can't name and shame - you never know who might be reading

payment (as in, cleared funds in the company bank account) was due friday.

up to this point, it's always been bang on time or even a day or two early; this makes me worry that there are, potentially, some cashflow issues their end.

In the 'complaint' email I sent, I asked for weekly invoicing from now on. I'm the only contractor on the client site who bills by calendar month, and it often causes confusion with managers during sign off, when they see partial timesheets etc.

IMO this agency is getting a very high percentage cut for doing pretty much sweet FA. the more I think about it, the angrier I get

Why not run a credit check against them to see if there are any issues?
                    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X