• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misleading job title?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misleading job title?

What happens if you go into a 6-month contract with the expectancy to do certain type of work... but end up after 3 months not doing that but doing something else that you don't like?! Have they breached their side of the agreement, if not legally then at least morally... but you'd still have to give notice to them as per the contract, which is not good if it's 4 weeks!

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    What happens if you go into a 6-month contract with the expectancy to do certain type of work... but end up after 3 months not doing that but doing something else that you don't like?! Have they breached their side of the agreement, if not legally then at least morally... but you'd still have to give notice to them as per the contract, which is not good if it's 4 weeks!
    How do you get the expectancy?

What does the contract say?

Most people end up doing stuff they dont like to get the money.

I would stick it out until contract end then move on : depending on the state of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
      doing something else that you don't like?
      If work was nice, they wouldn't have to pay us to do it!

If you are doing something that will aid your chances of getting another contract, keep on learning. If not, don't mention it on your CV.

Alternatively, hand in your notice and come and join us thousands on the bench earning £0 per month and not finding that too nice either.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If I was contracted as say a VBA developer and, after 3 months, the role and expectations had changed to the point that you couldn't reasonably expect a VBA developer to perform the new tasks, then it would be back to the negotiation table ....

I'd view that as the client trying to get a higher set of skills, like an Oracle DBA, by paying for a cheaper set and that's not going to happen. I use that as a guide when calculating rates for a contract - those that specify 7 or 8 skills are going to get a quote for the highest in the list.
        The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

It happened to me. I had a 6 month contract that I was happy with. Client Co extended for 12 months (yippee!) but it was in a different part of the business in a different day to day type role, as opposed to project based riole. It was a bang to rights IR35 certainty, the management referred to me as "part of the management team" I had to go to all the bull5h1t team meetings three times a week, I was on the section organisation chart, I had to plan work for some of their staff etc.... In fact, they wanted a permie guy but openly said that they'd been told they were getting me instead. Sadly, they hadn't a clue about using contractors it wasn't going to work and I ended up leaving after 6 weeks into the renewal once I'd got a new gig linmed up. Sad, but it happens. Even sadder in a way, I don't think I'd get an opportunity to go back to that client now, even if I wanted to and I'd done three different gigs there. But that's life.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

As mentioned by others

If it's enhancing your marketability (just check the job boards for quantity and rate near you) then stick with it. If it's not then get your CV out there. Don't quit.

Comment

Working...
            X