• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency to avoid - Hays Corporate Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My core skill area is comparitively niche and I spent months trying to hire developer positions for it by using agencies such as Hudson, Huxley, MA Associates, Arrows Group etc. plus had many other unendorsed agencies send me prospective CVs. During that entire time, I had next to no CVs which covered my skill area so had to widen the net.

On Saturday, I spotted an ad by Hays Corporate Accounts covering exactly the skill area which I'm involved in, and for which I'd be a perfect match. I rang this morning and was told that the recruiter was on holiday but had in any case covered off all of her roles before leaving. I said that the role had only been advertised on Friday afternoon. The receptionist said that she'd check. Came back and said the maximum number of CVs had been submitted. I said that I had recently been a hiring manager and had tried to recruit a candidate with just 1 of the skills mentioned for months with limited success and that I was a perfect match. She said that nevertheless they'd submitted CVs already and that they had a lot of CVs on their database. I said that if they had CVs on their database why did they need to advertise the role. She cut me off.

Avoid agencies.

Most agencies will behave the same way.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There are a handful of people in the country with the same skillset as my ideal role.

Originally posted by mace View Post
      I spotted an ad for which I'd be a perfect match.
      I apply to those then 'phone within an hour of advertising and get told it's gone for one reason or another. Various agencies.

I rang and was told that the recruiter was on holiday
      Weird, innit? It is actually code for "I'm not taking any more calls on this role."

Came back and said the maximum number of CVs had been submitted.
      That's code for "We're not taking any more calls from whiny, begging, benched contractors".

She said that they'd submitted CVs already and that they had a lot of CVs on their database
      She's a 'gatekeeper'. She is paid to not put you through.

[/QUOTE]I said that if they had CVs on their database why did they need to advertise the role. She cut me off.[/QUOTE]The agencies are getting hundreds of applications from people without the necessary skills for every role. They write, email and 'phone. Thanks to them, we cannot get through.

If you blacklist every agency which does this, there will be none for you to use.

Yes, it is that tulipe out there.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
      X