• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got a gig after 7 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a gig after 7 months

Well, by gads and by jingo with dumplings, steak and kidneys, and a good solid helping of sprouts. Been on the bench for seven months with hardly so much as a phone call. Then last week I get cold called by an agent with a not-too-crummy gig in the City. Danced around the bench-time issue at the interview and got the job. Rate is 7.5% less than my last rate, which in turn was 8.5% less than the rate before that. Still, at least I'm back in business.

Seems like the market has stirred to life a little in the last week. Happy days are here again?

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Good work!

Comment

Have a well earned banana!

Comment

Originally posted by icarus View Post
            Well, by gads and by jingo with dumplings, steak and kidneys, and a good solid helping of sprouts. Been on the bench for seven months with hardly so much as a phone call. Then last week I get cold called by an agent with a not-too-crummy gig in the City. Danced around the bench-time issue at the interview and got the job. Rate is 7.5% less than my last rate, which in turn was 8.5% less than the rate before that. Still, at least I'm back in business.

Seems like the market has stirred to life a little in the last week. Happy days are here again?
            Congrats. What is your skillset?

Comment

Well done

Comment

Well done that man!
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

enjoy!!

Comment

Got a gig after 7 months
                    And therein lies a lesson for the rest of us. Thank you for letting us know and giving us hope.

Well, by gads and by jingo with dumplings, steak and kidneys, and a good solid helping of sprouts.
                    Thanks, but feel free to keep the kidneys and the spouts.

Rate is 7.5% less than my last rate, which in turn was 8.5% less than the rate before that.
                    But for the last seven months you were on 100% less than you will be on in just a matter of days.

But about 84.5% of what you were on 2 gigs ago. So, much the same drop as banking contractors have had imposed on them. So you've got much the same as the market rate. Well done!

Still, at least I'm back in business.
                    You didn't give up. So you were never out of business. That's the point of contracting: never give up.

For you, yes. Go party!
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X