• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

8 days left on contract, can I just walk...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 days left on contract, can I just walk...

Been with ClientCo for 18months (initial 6 & 2 extensions). This time the paperwork for the extension is taking an age, and to be honest, I don't want to hit the 2yr boundary.

Been offered another contract, but starts before this one ends.

Given that I have a few days left, what would the implications of just walking be? Direct line manager might be p1ssed, but PM's have already said they will give me enough glowing refs to sink a small frigate.

You may burn some bridges if you just walk with no notice. It may be better to develop "Flu Like Symptoms" to get out of this one early. You never know, you may get the opportunity to come back one day and you dont want your old line manager blocking the way in.

Comment

Originally posted by adamv6 View Post
      Been with ClientCo for 18months (initial 6 & 2 extensions). This time the paperwork for the extension is taking an age, and to be honest, I don't want to hit the 2yr boundary.

Been offered another contract, but starts before this one ends.

Given that I have a few days left, what would the implications of just walking be? Direct line manager might be p1ssed, but PM's have already said they will give me enough glowing refs to sink a small frigate.
      Tell them that a family member has become very ill (e.g. wife, kids, etc) and say that you need to spend time with them. Or, as already suggested, develop some flu like symptoms.

The bridge may have been burnt by leaving early, but you never know... some people forget very quickly.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It depends whether you've finished your work or not!

Comment

Wont the new contract wait another 8 days?

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Tell them that a family member has become very ill (e.g. wife, kids, etc) and say that you need to spend time with them. Or, as already suggested, develop some flu like symptoms.

The bridge may have been burnt by leaving early, but you never know... some people forget very quickly.

Don't use this as an excuse, just incase it really does happen. That's my 2c advise
            Last edited by beemarman; 15 July 2009, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by adamv6 View Post
              ...8 days left on contract, can I just walk... .
              Professionally and with integrity? No.

I'd talk to my current client, or negotiate a later start at the new one. But then I work in sector where names get known.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Cheers for the advice.

Unfortunately, the start date on the new contract is non-neg.

My work isn't finished, in fact the project is due to run through til Sept 2011!

Even if they offered me a new extension and I refused that they would be well and truly up the creek anyway.

Comment

Could you use your right of substitution?

Comment

Can you not stay where you are with a rate increase to cover travel? If that is the only consideration.

Comment

Working...
                    X