• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye Bye to Brolly??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Type in all the rude words you know and you'll find out.
    All the rude words you know

Nope, still can't see it... tulip!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Having worked for a brolly for 5 years (actually for the brolly not through it) and then ran my own ltd for a year (so far) I have to say that running via brolly is so much easier and hassle free.

But yes you can get more from running your own ltd company - and this is the way to go if you are in contracting for the long term (and you also wish to actually run a business correctly rather than just sitting around moaning about agencies not getting you jobs)

The few local accountants I spoke to did not seem to have a clue about running a small business and the rules around being inside and outside of IR35 - as such they could not really offer an accounting model I was comfortable with - so I contacted HMRC went through what i was doing and I now do my accounts myself (saving lots of money - however I do not bother with flat rate vat as the company itself is only a sideline and does not earn that much)

With regards to IR35 it is still a grey area and if investigated you will often find it is actual working practices that are reviewed - standard contracts generally get thrown out of the window.

anyway my two pence worth.

Comment

I agree PM, much less hassle which was my original point that got shot down in flames.

Anyhow I'll have to confess that I am considering going back to a Ltd co. simply because I am looking at doing some non-agency type stuff (which may or may not be profitable, we'll have to see) for local businesses etc..

Obviously a brolly would be no good whatsoever for this type of work so I will probably have to get back into all this Ltd co. malarky again.

Comment

Working...
        X