• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newby expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The implication of the original post is that the OP is going to be doing much the same kind of work -else why site visits, flights, blah-di-blah. And out of interest, I made three guys redundant in my last role, I'm fairly clear on the boundaries. It is very difficult to justify your new contract role being significantly different to your original one, especially if it is not offered to the market first. If the company still wants your local knowledge and skills, you aren't redundant. End of.

The whole idea stinks. If you want to freelance, do it properly and find a real client. If you want to keep your old job, don't take VR.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The implication of the original post is that the OP is going to be doing much the same kind of work -else why site visits, flights, blah-di-blah. And out of interest, I made three guys redundant in my last role, I'm fairly clear on the boundaries. It is very difficult to justify your new contract role being significantly different to your original one, especially if it is not offered to the market first. If the company still wants your local knowledge and skills, you aren't redundant. End of.

The whole idea stinks. If you want to freelance, do it properly and find a real client. If you want to keep your old job, don't take VR.
      In this case, I agree with you.

When I took redundancy last year, I contracted for 2 weeks at the same company, different role, different location, so no problem in that instance.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Ok, I'd better clarify. I am happy to be leaving and the VR was a bonus, as I would have been giving my notice in anyway. Timing is perfect.
        I am moving over 200 miles from the currrent workplace and will be semi-retiring, drawing small pension and I should only need to work about 3 days a week. Yeah, I know, everyone else wants the same..!

My role will not be the same as before, as I am currently a team leader and would not be carrying any responsibility. The new role will be based specifically on set projects or pieces of consultancy.
        I do agree that the reason they would want to contract me back is to utelise the skills that they lose when I go..
        The Co HR dept is aware, and has been consulted and have said there there wouldn't be any issues. Now I'm concerned that they meant for THEM.... It sounds like there are more implications for me to consider.

Where should I go for advice? I clearly don't want to jeopardise my VR payment.

Comment

Originally posted by JLo View Post
          Ok, I'd better clarify. I am happy to be leaving and the VR was a bonus, as I would have been giving my notice in anyway. Timing is perfect.
          I am moving over 200 miles from the currrent workplace and will be semi-retiring, drawing small pension and I should only need to work about 3 days a week. Yeah, I know, everyone else wants the same..!

My role will not be the same as before, as I am currently a team leader and would not be carrying any responsibility. The new role will be based specifically on set projects or pieces of consultancy.
          I do agree that the reason they would want to contract me back is to utelise the skills that they lose when I go..
          The Co HR dept is aware, and has been consulted and have said there there wouldn't be any issues. Now I'm concerned that they meant for THEM.... It sounds like there are more implications for me to consider.

Where should I go for advice? I clearly don't want to jeopardise my VR payment.

hmm a good tax accountant might be a start to get the general rules. Then an employment lawyer to look at the contract specifics I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
            hmm a good tax accountant might be a start to get the general rules. Then an employment lawyer to look at the contract specifics I guess.
            Agreed. But be very sure you have a clear and umabiguous definition of your new, temporary role and ensure that there are no common pieces of work between the two. That will be harder than you may imagine.

Also note that if you request an independent assessment of the VR agreement, your current client should be paying for it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X