• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DV Clearance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your DV will not lapse automatically when you leave the DV project. It depends on the vetting agency as to how long they will hold the clearance prior to lapsing it. This ranges from immediately to 12 months depending on the agencies individual standards.

If you require a min of SC to be in the new role, the new vetting agency will review/renew your SC while your DV is being considered. However, DV is independant of SC so a yr after using your DV (assuming you get it), your SC will lapse.

When you move on, if the role you are going to only requires SC, you will need to prompt the new company to transfer your DV. DV transfer is more expensive and time consuming than an SC transfer so they may be reluctant to do it. Thats assuming that the company you move to is able to hold a DV clearance.......

It's all very complicated.

You have to remember that it the civil service who are holding and maintaning your clearance. Although the vetting officers are very nice over the phone, they are not very proactive and need the odd push in the right direction to get things moving.
    Last edited by Mailman_1; 6 July 2009, 16:25.

Comment

I spoke to the DVA only last week reference this question. I was informed that the SC element of a DV can be extracted to produce an SC.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
        I spoke to the DVA only last week reference this question. I was informed that the SC element of a DV can be extracted to produce an SC.
        Which makes perfect sense.

Bit weird considering that it's a civil service team telling you that now I come to think on it.

DV doesn't insta lapse in most cases as I understand it, if it did then the jobs requesting current DV clearance would be even dafter than most job posts.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Which makes perfect sense.

Bit weird considering that it's a civil service team telling you that now I come to think on it.

DV doesn't insta lapse in most cases as I understand it, if it did then the jobs requesting current DV clearance would be even dafter than most job posts.
          It's supposed to lapse when you leave post but in reality I've been told they give you 6 months as it cost so much. £12k the last I heard.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was informed of the below by DVA with regards to DV:
            Can be transferred to another organisation if within 3 years of the date obtained. If not used then is valid for 12 months.

I all reality though I have no idea. I'm new to all this stuff. The above is just what I was informed last week.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
              Who in thier right mind would want to downgrade thier DV to an SC using this extraction method? The amount of time it takes to aquire DV and the chances of a contractor being nominated for DV clearance would mean that the chances of aquiring DV clearance a 2nd time would be very very limited.

Insisting that the new project transfers/holds and maintains your DV is the only way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
                Who in thier right mind would want to downgrade thier DV to an SC using this extraction method? The amount of time it takes to aquire DV and the chances of a contractor being nominated for DV clearance would mean that the chances of aquiring DV clearance a 2nd time would be very very limited.

Insisting that the new project transfers/holds and maintains your DV is the only way to go IMO.
                I had DV up until 2005 but I couldn't find a suitable role that required it at the time, I'd kill for it now as the DV market is positively buoyant.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I had DV up until 2005 but I couldn't find a suitable role that required it at the time, I'd kill for it now as the DV market is positively buoyant.
                  At the risk of being called a plank again for wanting to maintain my clearance, i only take cleared roles at the moment. If the role isnt what i do, chances are it pays more than what i do in the private sector. Therefore, i take it until a more suitable role arises. One of the pluses of having clearance is that you have a much higher chance of getting a contract due to the reduced pool of applicants. In this environment, the clearance level is of primary importance, secondly, the skillset required to do the job.
                  Last edited by Mailman_1; 7 July 2009, 12:39. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
                    In this environment, the clearance level is of primary importance, secondly, the skillset required to do the job.
                    Which is precisely why (a) most major HMG programmes fail and (b) why we're trying to get the rules on clearance properly understood and applied by the people doing the hiring.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Which is precisely why (a) most major HMG programmes fail and (b) why we're trying to get the rules on clearance properly understood and applied by the people doing the hiring.
                      I disagree with (a). Most (90%+) of the higher ranking positions in the outsourcers who are awarded the HMG programmes are permanent staff of the outsourcing company. The contractors are usually the engineers and PM's. From the number of programmes i have seen fail across all of the top 5 outsourcing companies, the majority have been due to the beancounters underquoting to get the work in the bid phase and then cutting corners once they realise they wont make any money due to thier errors.

Regarding (b). Contractors with the correct clearance command a premium and are in contract most of the time. The outsourcers baulk at the rates the cleared contractors require and hold out for cheaper candidates. The cheaper candidates rarely appear and with the outsourcers being held to a timescale, there comes a cutoff period where the only options are to take on people who already hold the required clearance, or pay for properly cleared people to monitor the uncleared contractor therefore increasing the resourcing cost to the project even more.
                      Last edited by Mailman_1; 9 July 2009, 09:10. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X