• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on paying up-front...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on paying up-front...

Happy Sunday,

I'm on a contract in Saudi at the moment. The contractual deal is that flights, food and accomodation is paid for me. They provided the return airline tickets no problem. Now I learn that the agency expect me to pay the hotel and food bill, for which, they say, they will reimburse me.

There is no mention of paying up front in the contract.

The hotel bill currently stands at over 4000 quid.

Now, having been bumped for for an airline ticket in the past by an agency, and not being a particularly trusting person, my reaction is "Not on your nelly". Why should I put 4000 quid at risk? Am I being unneccesarily cautious or cynical?

I'd be interested in your opinions.......
    Last edited by Croatian; 28 June 2009, 10:46. Reason: Edited for carp speeling

Originally posted by Croatian View Post
    Happy Sunday,

I'm on a contract in Saudi at the moment. The contractual deal is that flights, food and accomodation is paid for me. They provided the return airline tickets no problem. Now I learn that the agency expect me to pay the hotel and food bill, for which, they say, they will reimburse me.

There is no mention of paying up front in the contract.

The hotel bill currently stands at over 4000 quid.

Now, having been bumped for for an airline ticket in the past by an agency, and not being a particularly trusting person, my reaction is "Not on your nelly". Why should I put 4000 quid at risk? Am I being unneccesarily cautious or cynical?

I'd be interested in your opinions.......

Assuming that this is not a sockpuppet post, here's what I have to say....

Without knowing the T's & C's of your contract and your personal circumstances, it is impossible to know what risk you can or cannot take. If the contract falls through... would you like to take a holiday in Saudi? If so, pay for the ticket and hotel cost up front and enjoy the time there. If the contract is real, then tell the agency that if they want you to take the role, they should find a way of paying for it, and if you (the contractor) pull out, that you will refund the agency any losses they have incurred. If necessary, renegotiate the contract to that effect. If the agency is in difficult financial situation, you will need to consider whether the risk of taking the role is worth taking.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks for that....

I'm already in Saudi! Contract ends next month.

This is no place for a holiday........

Comment

Originally posted by Croatian View Post
        Thanks for that....

I'm already in Saudi! Contract ends next month.

This is no place for a holiday........
        There was a sense of sarcasm in my suggestion about a holiday in Saudi. . But you should question why the agency is asking you to pay. If they are not able to pay your hotel fees, what else are they not able to pay? It's not, in reality, unreasonable for a contractor to pay for their accommodation upfront, but it does, in a way, go down to what you and your agency have agreed in writing.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

You might at least be able to arrange them paying more frequently e.g weekly... explain it's hard to be running £1000s in arrears on expenses.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm constantly amazed by the numbers of contractors that come on here and don't know the terms of payment in their contract.

Its very difficult to answer this kind of question without vital information such as payment terms etc. If you don't have a contract that sais the agent will refund your expenses, then don't be surprised if you don't get them refunded!

A few suggestions though:
            Have you invoiced the agent for the expenses??

Has the end client told you that they refund expenses directly to you in local currency (often the case in places like Saudi)??

Call the agent first thing tomorrow morning and tell you need the expenses paid by the end of the week and ask him if he can think of anything that will prevent this

PZZ

Comment

Working...
            X