• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed term?

Fixed term contracts being offered at my current site for all on daily rates. Obviously going to be lower rates, but anyone have experience of taking a 6 month/12 month fixed term? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks..

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
    Fixed term contracts being offered at my current site for all on daily rates. Obviously going to be lower rates, but anyone have experience of taking a 6 month/12 month fixed term? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks..
    Fixed Term = contractors at permie rates OMHO.

PZZ

Comment

A rip-off for the worker. All the downsides of contracting with none of the upsides.

I've always admired the way recruiters seem able to maintain a serious tone in their voice when they present the opportunity.

Sadly there are enough people who accept these arrangements to sustain this segment of the market (I appreciate that some people have no choice due to their circumstances).

Comment

I did a FTC a while ago - 12 months for a specific deliverable, finished in 9 and got paid for the full 12. I think the key for FTC work is having a specific deliverable, I wouldn't do it on a rolling basis.

Comment

The Fixed Term Contract. A parasistic organism, offering a low permie rate for 6 or 12 months. Hibenates during boom times, spawns during recessionary times. Avoid, avoid, avoid

Comment

I've not come across this... what is it? The name "fixed term" just sounds like a normal contract with no notice periods/extensions, but apparently there's more to it than that?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I've not come across this... what is it? The name "fixed term" just sounds like a normal contract with no notice periods/extensions, but apparently there's more to it than that?
              It is salaried, so you go on the client's payroll and taxed accordingly. But you are treated by the client as a contractor so you do not get any benefits, or the soft stuff like training that a real permie does.

It's all the politics, none of the perks, all of the tax and not all the pay.

I nearly took one of these some years ago for an outsourced council dept through Capita. It looked good at first glance but I would have been financially screwed. Mind you, that was when IR35 was young; my accountant said I would have to pay tax on my taxed salary but that must be wrong!
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Sounds like they have a permie head count freeze on and want to get a contractor on permies pay to bridge the gap, then you are out the door when they can recruit again.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                X