• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates in France

What's a normal rate for a contract in France.

I'm an embedded engineer and the job's not in Paris (so I suspect you can guess where it will be).

As a reference I'd expect 65-70 Euro ph in Germany, but I've been asked for a day rate. Is 550 too much?

tim

Rates are "de la merde " in France. For a mainframe dinosaur, 400 euros in Paris is top-whack, and I've been offered work at 280 in Nice and Bordeaux.
    The French business model is severely flawed with SSII (consultancies) getting in contractors via middlemen, to work at client sites, meaning generally there's an extra pimp involved, meaning less for the contractor.
    I would only take work locally at those sort of rates, as, once you've taken out travel,tax and accommodation, you might as well not bother.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Thanks, fleety that was quick.

I'm aware of the existance of the likes of Alten placing people, but if that is the deal, I'm not interested.

I'm assuming that the placement is direct from the agency and I told the guy that I got 500 in Germany and he didn't flinch.

He IS trying to interest me in the crappy jobs that he can't fill, so I might dip out on it anyway, (to steal a comment from MF(?), I'd much rather do a really interesting job for 300pd, than a crappy one for 1000 - I already have the crappy one!)

tim

Comment

mmm.... ive had emails baout J2EE contracts in Nice at 200 Euros plus......

Ironic really as i wouldnt touch that sort of tulipe with yours....

also had emails about .Net contracts in Nice at 500 Euros plus

Round2 of the .Net gravy rain will start around April......

Hurrah!

Vieze Oude Man

Comment

5 Euros an hour, as much garlic as you can eat, and you have to run away when theres a fight.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yup agree with the above.

French salaries generally are pretty awful the worst in Western Europe (except perhaps Italy), and that goes for contracting rates.

You want EUR 550 a day?, I´m afraid the PM will splurt his coffee all over the desk.

Generally rates have been pushed down throughout Europe, 65-70 is a good starting point in Germany but won´t necessarily get it.

Just to confirm mcguiggd, there is one exception; there does seem to be a company that does travel reservation systems in Nice that pays decent rates; I´ve come accross them a couple of times; they seem to be outside the French system eg. French isn´t important and they advertise through UK agents, which is unusual.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

At least there's a contract market there!

I think it's pretty much non-existent here or in Portugal, I think I'm going to be teaching English or working in an Irish pub before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                The French business model is severely flawed with SSII (consultancies) getting in contractors via middlemen, to work at client sites, meaning generally there's an extra pimp involved,
                AN extra pimp? You were lucky! I've had 3 extra pimps in the chain, with the final SSII asking me to pretend to the client that I was on salary to them.

Flawed business model... only it's not a model, nobody else wants to copy it

(but living in France has its good points. Doubtless they'll come back to me sometime)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                  Yup agree with the above.

French salaries generally are pretty awful the worst in Western Europe (except perhaps Italy), and that goes for contracting rates.

You want EUR 550 a day?, I´m afraid the PM will splurt his coffee all over the desk.

Generally rates have been pushed down throughout Europe, 65-70 is a good starting point in Germany but won´t necessarily get it.

Just to confirm mcguiggd, there is one exception; there does seem to be a company that does travel reservation systems in Nice that pays decent rates; I´ve come accross them a couple of times; they seem to be outside the French system eg. French isn´t important and they advertise through UK agents, which is unusual.

Aye BB

I think I know the company in question , if so you will find that as their HQ is based in Madrid that is why French is not so important, yep I worked fro them in Madird a wee while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
                    At least there's a contract market there!

I think it's pretty much non-existent here or in Portugal, I think I'm going to be teaching English or working in an Irish pub before too long.
                    Look on the bright side, Bar Work or teaching is far more interesting than working in IT.

Comment

Working...
                    X