• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question for DodgyAgent (and anyone else)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for DodgyAgent (and anyone else)

I'm in discussion with clientCo about going direct and cutting out the agent.

I know all the legal stuff, and don't want to burn bridges with the agent.

So planning to offer 3 months worth of the X% they are taking upfront to release me from the handcuffs.

The contract is going from full time, down to 3 days a week (or less), so it won't be worth loads to the agency anyway.

Anyone got experience of doing this, or know how the agency will react?
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

What does your contract say?

It will certainly have a clause in there detailing exactly what they expect from you if you do this.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't think it would be anything written in the contract. It's more what they might accept after negotiation in order to release you from the terms of the contract.

I know one person who did a similar thing, but his was for just a few days a month. The agency let him do those days direct for nothing on the basis that if he started working 5 days a week again he would do it through them. They also got an extra 3 months fees from him as he then extended to go 5 days a week for an extra 3 months.

It's all down to the agency and how hard they want to play it. Offer them 1 months fees to release you and see what they come back with.

Comment

Contract says 6 months, but I've read up on the restriction of trade laws, so the best they would get in court would be 3 - 4 months. Contract specifies I need to get written permission if going direct within the 6 month period.

Hex, Interesting idea thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
          I'm in discussion with clientCo about going direct and cutting out the agent.

I know all the legal stuff, and don't want to burn bridges with the agent.

So planning to offer 3 months worth of the X% they are taking upfront to release me from the handcuffs.

The contract is going from full time, down to 3 days a week (or less), so it won't be worth loads to the agency anyway.

Anyone got experience of doing this, or know how the agency will react?
          I dont think that they will sue you, it would not be worth your while, so your gesture is very reasonable. Offer to chuck in some leads in the future and you'll be fine.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            I dont think that they will sue you, it would not be worth your while, so your gesture is very reasonable. Offer to chuck in some leads in the future and you'll be fine.

Thanks DA

Comment

They might have more of an argument with the client than with you - what does their contract with the client say?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                They might have more of an argument with the client than with you - what does their contract with the client say?
                Just the same clause.

I'll update the board next week on how it went.

Comment

Working...
                X