• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lloyds cutting rates by another 10% today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Those initial savings are false saving in the long term, just like the cheap airlines in Mich's example.

Sure their initial price is a massive cut in what a contractor would cost (though not as much these days as it used to be unless you use really dodgy off shore suppliers) but then they quite literally nickel and dime you death

Place I am working at the moment really got into the outsourcing fad back in the last crash, to the point that there is no real in house development team anymore (except moi ), 99.9% of the stuff is outsourced and has been for a while. Now on virtually every system they have they have to go back to the suppliers for the slightest change and those suppliers are raking it in.

Common to see them charge in excess of £2000 for what I know would be about an hour or two worth of work (they of course always claim it is 20 times more work than it actually is), recently had one quote a PM £2500 to change label text on 5 items in a ASP.NET app…bloody fool was going to accept too until I sat him down and did the changes right in front of him in 3 mins flat

Outsourcing has it's place (mainly one off's that should not require lots of support where company really has no one internal with the necessary skills), but just like last crash majority of projects that are getting outsourced are the wrong type of project to do this with and only reason they are doing it is to save money in the short term, in the long term it will end up costing those companies a lot more than contractors, hell it will cost them even more than permies who spend 30% of the year doing nothing

Back in the day when I used to advise multinationals on outsourcing for a living, I used to tell them never to outsource anything that would impact on their core business if they lost it. So menial tasks, etc, legacy mainframes being run down or replaced etc.

These days, managers only have a 12-36 month horizon and anything that comes to light after that is no longer their problem as they will be promoted or working elsewhere by then. Thats assuming its not one of the big consultancies doing the work on behalf of the board and permie managers dont get a look in.

IT is such a small part of outsourcing deals these days and if it is good or bad it does not make much difference.

As a for example, I recently went back to one of my previous clients to update some strategy documents as a favor to one of the guys there. The client, one of the largest global banking firms, used to run its customer helpdesk with 55 staff in the US, 17 in the UK and 22 in Singapore. A year or so ago, they outsourced the entire CHD to India where there are over 450 staff doing the same work and the supporting IT infrastructure is significantly shrunk in India as it is cheaper to hire bodies to fill the cracks and no need to develop any additional IT infrastructure. The outsourced service has been demonstrated to be 60% lower in costs over 6 reporting periods than the previous in house service desk. As I said in earlier posts, none of us contractors can match business benefits of this magnitude. This is just one example of why client co's don't need us any more.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
      I am in the process of offshoring my contract position again ..

One year ago it was my HBOS role.
      Now on the last week of off-shoring my RBS role.

As people have said it will be very doubtfull if these contract roles will come back as next it will be the permanent roles going out there ..

Can't stop it too late ..

I do have another contract set up to start but think I will need to find a new career in a couple of years time ..

Big question is what ?
      Would agree, my estimate is as many as 10 million jobs have moved from the 'west' to cheaper locations around the world, roles previously filled by both contract and permie staff. None of these will come back IMV.

As for another career, anything that is not IT related!
      I retire next April (50) so not much for me to worry about as I have just signed up for another year with a previous client and will work part time for co's that I know for a few more years. I don't have any mortgages or debts to worry about but I would worry if I was just starting out in IT as I feel the rules have significantly changed of the past few years and contracting is no longer sustainable or profitable in the way it was when I started out 25 years ago.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
      X