• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

big time dillema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big time dillema

what would people do in this situation:

your 2 months into a contract working in the public sector and you get another 6 month contract in the private sector which pays £50 per day more. I am quite content with my current role even though i went for the interview at the other place - it was more of a client building exercise. I now have to get back to the agent tomorrow morning at 9am, about my decision - gut feeling is that i should stay even though the private job is paying better. In the current place i know there will be more work to get me another contract, whereas the project in the private sector job is 3 years - but not obviously guaranteeing being in employment for that long. One of the main things playing on my mind is the guilt factor of leaving so quickly, especially as they will pay for some external training courses (upto 1k)

So what would people do?? Move or stay?

Either. Pay the money take the ride.

No-one here can tell you if to jump or not. Your a contractor feelings for the client shouldn't come into it.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
      what would people do in this situation:

your 2 months into a contract working in the public sector and you get another 6 month contract in the private sector which pays £50 per day more. I am quite content with my current role even though i went for the interview at the other place - it was more of a client building exercise. I now have to get back to the agent tomorrow morning at 9am, about my decision - gut feeling is that i should stay even though the private job is paying better. In the current place i know there will be more work to get me another contract, whereas the project in the private sector job is 3 years - but not obviously guaranteeing being in employment for that long. One of the main things playing on my mind is the guilt factor of leaving so quickly, especially as they will pay for some external training courses (upto 1k)

So what would people do?? Move or stay?
      whatever you do...it's going to be more of client relationship destruction exercise. Someone's going to get it in the neck.

Comment

it works out 6.5k in favour of jumping ship....but then money isnt everything... i quite like working for the public sector.. bloody hell why did i put myself in this situation.

Comment

Personally I'd stay put as I don't find bailing on an existing contract acceptable.
          I know loads of people will yell that you should jump, but contractors jumping contracts because of a few quid extra gives us all a rotten reputation.
          I've been fighting against client perceptions of contractors being unreliable fly by nights for most of the last two decades and I admit to being irritated by it.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Personally I'd stay put as I don't find bailing on an existing contract acceptable.
            I know loads of people will yell that you should jump, but contractors jumping contracts because of a few quid extra gives us all a rotten reputation.
            I've been fighting against client perceptions of contractors being unreliable fly by nights for most of the last two decades and I admit to being irritated by it.
            +1

Although, in retrospect, there probably is a "X per day" more amount that I would jump for.

Comment

Everyone i have spoken to have said the same (stay put), and i am a loyal person.... but looking on the flip side... the client can always push you out at anytime.... but i have a good working relationship and i pretty much am getting what i want from a job bar the rate....
              Last edited by speedo; 18 June 2009, 19:16.

Comment

Unfortunately I have put myself into a similar situation, I have an interview with major bank in the city on Monday, agent nagged me to apply for a role - paying £100 a day extra, even though he knew I am not available. I've been in my present contract for over a year, was told I am to be extended until new year. My present contract pays less, but its 15 minutes away from home, work is flexible, remote access if I wanted to work from home etc, on top it all, I have become quite close friends with the program manager. I can't deny a £100 extra a day is really tempting, but is it worth having to commute to central London, deal with assholes in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                  Unfortunately I have put myself into a similar situation, I have an interview with major bank in the city on Monday, agent nagged me to apply for a role - paying £100 a day extra, even though he knew I am not available. I've been in my present contract for over a year, was told I am to be extended until new year. My present contract pays less, but its 15 minutes away from home, work is flexible, remote access if I wanted to work from home etc, on top it all, I have become quite close friends with the program manager. I can't deny a £100 extra a day is really tempting, but is it worth having to commute to central London, deal with assholes in the city?
                  Why not ask the PM at your current gig to split the difference - worth a punt, surely?

Comment

working
                    public sector..
                    typo?

Comment

Working...
                    X