• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo sending me abroad for a week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ClientCo sending me abroad for a week

Notwithstanding that it is Mexico, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Obviously they will pay for flights and accomm, but should I be able to claim for expenses on top of this - my contract does not include expenses as a rule.

Will normal travel insurance cover a business trip?

What else should I consider?

Thanks

Normal travel insurance should cover it.

You should claim extras while abroad. I.e. you will have to eat in a restaurant so keep receipts and claim back. Also taxi fares etc.

You should consider asking what the working schedule will be. I had a client that wanted me to fly out to Europe and do a 8 hours day on top. They always wanted me to fly from Heathrow so that meant a 16 hour day for normal wonga.

On those days I changed it and charge per hour so billed 16 "units".

Comment

If expenses are not in your contract, then make you sure you get in writing what you can claim for.

Flights, accommodation, in country travel (trains, buses, taxi's whatever), meals etc.

Comment

WHS, I've gone abroad on Client business in the past assuming that they would cover costs, but they didn't. I didn't end up out of pocket though.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Also, if you're going to Mexico, check that your insurance provider will cover you whilst there, I know some pulled the plug on people going there because of Swine Flu.

The FCO have rescinded the advice "essential travel only" so you should be ok, but worth checking nonetheless.

Also, drink plenty mojitos
          In case of emergency, break dance.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            If expenses are not in your contract, then make you sure you get in writing what you can claim for.

Flights, accommodation, in country travel (trains, buses, taxi's whatever), meals etc.
            WHS +1

Get everything in clear writing, I'd recommend sending an email seeking specific confirmation and the assumption that the following will be fully reimbursed or directly paid for by clientco:-
            1. Flights (business class if they will, it's a longish flight)
            2. Airport parking
            3. Taxis in Mexico
            4. Hotel
            5. Meals
            6. Reasonable out of pocket expenses
            7. Business entertaining (if applicable)
            8. Travel insurance (don't forget ordinary travel insurance typically doesn't cover business use unless the insurance company has provided it on that basis)
            9. Medical insurance
            10. All travelling time is to be treated as part of or in addition to working time and will be charged for, so that they don't expect you to get off a 6 hour flight then do an 8 hour day all for the usual day rate. Make sure they're aware it's door to door time if you will be travelling early or late and not during the normal day.
            Once it's in writing there can be no misunderstandings or incorrect assumptions.

Comment

Also: get some Lemsip

Comment

Normal travel insurance should cover it.
                Usually it is an exclusion in a regular travel policy. Read the small print.

There are plenty of on line brokers who quote business travel policies. If you shop around it costs no more than regular travel insurance cover. My clients have always paid this as an invoiced expense. I advise you to make sure the client understands that a traveling day is door to door or else you can do an 18 hour day for zip.

If it's long haul, you may have to negotiate on that and business class fare.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                X