• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wife's cy car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's cy car?

I have just signed a contract which is quite far away from home. I therefore will have to do around 20.000 miles / year commuting to there, around 90 miles / day back and forth. I was thinking of using my wife's to be ( we are engaged and have bought a house together) company car in order to go to work and she could use her own car as her commute is much smaller. To avoid any confusion, the company she is working for has nothing to do with my LTd, it is her real occupation, even if she is the secretary of my Ltd as well. Obviously, petrol. maintenance, insurance etc are all paid for by her company. Do you think i can still claim the 0.4 and 0.25 pounds per mile expense ? Would Hector be angry with me in case of an investigation? Would he ask if the car i am using is mine or my wife's or a cy car?

Thanks
    Last edited by malandri; 27 October 2005, 17:07.

Sorry, should have posted this under accounting/legal. I do not know if i can move it there

Comment

Have you ever thought about running your own comapny and making your own financial arrangements, rather than sponging off someone else's?

Just curious, like... I mean, as an example, you could just as easily nick a Post Office van and use that.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        Have you ever thought about running your own comapny and making your own financial arrangements, rather than sponging off someone else's?

Just curious, like... I mean, as an example, you could just as easily nick a Post Office van and use that.
        Well, the difference is that my wife is having money deducted from her payslip (and therefore from OUR income ) every month in order to have this car. You must have heard of credit sale agreements between a leasing cy and an individual, most of the cy car schemes work that way. The cy car is not for free while the post office van is (until the postman calls the police of course...)

Comment

Ah, and she (we) pay benefit in kind for petrol as well...

Comment

I'm sure it's not legal and if there was an investigation then they would want proof that you had done the mileage in your car. Like most things I guess....OK till you get caught.

I suppose you could buy a replacement speedo , rack up a few miles on it and then say that you had to change it!

Comment

OK, in that case, it's probably OK if you deduct the purchase price (or lease cost) of the car, depreciation, insurance and servicing from the 40ppm. Her contribution will be for fuel and some of the servicing.

Still think it's wrong on all sorts of levels though... Hell, if you can't afford to do the gig, why did you take the contract?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You'll probably find that her insurance doesn't cover you for commuting to work since the car is for her to commute to work in.

If you do it you'll have to check the insurance and maybe take out your own policy to cover your commuting use.

Also you'll have to deduct the amount your wife gets in employer contribution to the lease from your pence per mile.

Get a cheap car and stop worrying about it

Comment

I suppose i have to check the cy car policy to see if i am allowed to drive her car to my work. I know that she can use the car for driving to work (of course ) and we can both use it for leisure purposes, but not if i can use it for my commute

Comment

in other words sh*t upon from a great hight

Comment

Working...
                    X