• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench period in CV..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench period in CV..??

I am in the process of giving a major "face-lift" to my CV, but I am on bench for last 5 months. I am bit worried to show that in my CV.What are the options I have ..??

1. Should I adjust bench period to previous project..?
    2. Remove month option from experience history i.e. 2006-2007 company X, not saying which month I worked ..
    3. Keep the gap as it is..(as we are in recession now)

I am worried if I show 5 months bench the agents might think I am not good to be selected ..??
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 14 June 2009, 11:16.

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    I am in the process of giving a "face-lift" to my CV, but I was on bench for last 5 months. I am bit worried to show that in my CV.What are the options I have ..??

1. Should I just add bench period to last project..?
    2. Remove month option from experience history i.e. 2006-2007 company X, not saying which month I worked ..
    3. Keep the gap as it is..

I am worried if I show 5 months bench the agents might think I am not good to be selected ..??
    Option 3. If asked, you say that you have been on holiday for the past 5 months. Job done.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

You can always 'squeeze' five months into four or three. Eg "April 2008 - March 2009" is perfectly OK, IMO, if you finished your contract at the end of February. Unlike mathematics, there is no legal employers' and agents' standard on the '-' operator in CVs.... Sometimes it means "up to and including"; sometimes it means "up to but not including".
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Not in the current recession, that shouldn´t be a big stumbling block,if you have the right skill set. If things pick up you´ll be off the bench pretty quickly. Does look like things are beginning to improve. Still no harm in massaging the figures to look a bit less.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have been benched since November 2008 so I have a giant gap in my CV.
          I have noticed that at interviews, agents and people in general do not bother asking. If they do ask then my answer is just to say what I have done with my time: Job searching, manage some major work on the house and courses.
          I have had an interesting time and it has been very busy but not very financially rewarding. I've been for three permy interviews, filled in loads of forms, worked as a permy for three and a bit days (before being offered something else and giving notice) and been on some courses.

I should not worry about it. I do remember being out of contract in the last ten years for sometimes periods less than one month and agents thinking that due to still being available after one month then you were obviously rubbish. Not at the moment though, everyone understands the situation and that contracts are offered one day and then withdrawn the next.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
            I do remember being out of contract in the last ten years for sometimes periods less than one month and agents thinking that due to still being available after one month then you were obviously rubbish.
            interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of it like that!

Comment

If you are operating as a limited company then you do not have a gap on your CV. I could expand, but of you don't understand that sentence there is little point.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'll have been benched for 6 months this coming Friday.

I left my last role on Dec 19th but haven't bothered to "stretch" it to January.

My CV does not comment on the gap. I take this approach as a test of the hiring manager. I am testing that they:

a) Are aware of the market in which they are operating.

b) Are gracious enough to acknowledge both the state of the market and that in times like these, even top quality people get benched for extended periods.

I don't want to work with anyone who fails either of these two litmus tests.

That said, my war chest allows me to take that view and I appreciate that many will not have that luxury. I would also acknowledge that you've got to get past the agent.

Of course it's essential to be able to talk about what you've done (DIY, courses, etc...). If you're going for perm roles, obviously it's not appropriate to talk about a plan B because any prospective employer will want total loyalty/focus going forward. Contract clients will be less bohtered but even then I would be cautious about discussing any plan B developments.

There are some agents who express surprise and ask you why you haven't been working but they are sufficiently few in number to allow them to be ignored or slapped down (I opt for the latter).

So in summary, be ready to discuss what you've done, but ultimately I think there's no need to address it on the CV.

Just my 2p's worth.

HeadOfTesting

Comment

One reason for Contracting.

One of the reasons for contracting is that you can work when and where you
                  want. Its a sad state of affairs that you have to account for gaps in your CV
                  as an IT contractor.
                  The main problem is that in 3 years time the pimps will have forgotten that 2009 was a miserable year for most of us.
                  It depends on what skills and number of accumulated years experience you have related to your skill set.
                  The biggest problem is that your skills might become rusty if you remain too long on the bench. The other problem is that you are not increasing your work experience.
                  Learn something don't sit around or surf the internet all day.
                  I am currently improving my language skills(self learning + a conversation group) while I am on the bench.

Comment

You can always use the phrase 'Aug 2008 to Date' then you only have to name the 'date' if someone asks you. Often or not they wont.

Try doing some IT related work for a charity to fill your bench time and gaps in your CV. Many client co's like to see this kind of thing on your CV as it gives the impression that you are reliable and have moral substance (this may not be true in everyone's case. but how cares if it gets you an interview??).

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X