• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT jobs 'lost to cheap labour'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT jobs 'lost to cheap labour'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8077579.stm

BBC iplayer
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._4_02_06_2009/

In Belgium many UK residents are paid lower than Belgique's remunaration and so on in all countires ..

Comment

Soophy,

Not sure why you sent me PM sigining yourself as admin

soophy
      Not worth listening to

Please remove or edit your message on forum. It is under discrimination law/act.

Admin

Comment

Clearly schizoid.
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

WTF

Comment

Was this article written by the chap from the BBC who posted here some weeks ago, asking for comments on Off shore working taking our contracts?
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

What a surprise – not. How come BBC only now came up with this story? Where has the writer been the last few years?

There is nothing more annoying than hearing that your services are no longer required and that as the last thing you are asked to do a handover to Venkateshmaneshashutoshniranjan who has just landed from Mumbai/Chennai/Hyderabad and whose English accent gives you a headache.

Thanks to globalisation not only have the low-cost Indian IT workers become part of the UK workforce, but they have already started to invade continental Europe as well.

However the cultural differences are too big to make people work efficiently and successfully as a team. The poor communication and consulting skills and sometimes also technical skills have been criticized by almost every client who I have worked with. Their message could not be clearer: bring back the Europeans.

The client may save some money, but the output will suffer.

Well, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Comment

Over the last ten years there was not even one company I worked for that had not made people redundant and replaced them by offshore-outsourced staff and I am not talking here about only contractors but also permanent staff.

The big indian companies are buying small British companies and setting-up small offices here so that they can transfer easily THEIR EMPLOYESS to the UK

I was contacted by an indian company three months ago and offered a contract but of course paying the ongoing INDIAN daily rate..of course as they can not find somebody in the UK who can accept their rate they can claim they can not find anybody in the UK and then bring somebody from staff in India.

these practices should be banned and made illegal, as this is an elections year I think it is a good time to raise these issues

It is a bit strange that an association that represents recruitment agencies raise these issues and we the people who are affected directly by this do not have one.

Comment

You mean apart from PCG?

I'm interested to learn what practices you think should be made illegal? Buying in services from another country?
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

UK Skills listing 1 st Quarter 2009

I was contacted by an indian company three months ago and offered a contract but of course paying the ongoing INDIAN daily rate..of course as they can not find somebody in the UK who can accept their rate they can claim they can not find anybody in the UK and then bring somebody from staff in India.Quote

What you would need is .-
                    1 an actual list of IT skill shortages with a UK current average market rate.

1st Quarter 2009 Job Category 1
                    Skill Contract Permanent
                    ie 4325 SAP ABAP programmer £350 day/£45,000 pa

2 All job adverts must contain the Job Category " Job category "1 ( EEC preference),2(Security clearance/UK only) 3 (Open to all)

3 Only if an applicant can't be found at the current average market rate
                    for the skill listing can the company apply for a foreign worker.

Comment

Working...
                    X