• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management gigs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Management gigs

I'm going to be on the bench in 4 weeks and have started looking for new gigs. Having been in one gig for just over 9 months I'm shocked how rates have dropped - for experienced and senior PMs it seems to now £350 - £400 where previously it was easily £475 - £550, but there is not much advertised either - maybe the agencies do not need to advertise these roles?

As I have no warchest left, I think I will have to minimise bench time by applying for all suitable roles regardless of rate - even though I would be over qualified on a lot of them - so should I tone down my experience on my CV to improve my chances?

Also, when networking, should I mention that I am discounting my rate to improve my chances of being passed opportunities?

Any tips that anyone would care to share would be appreciated!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I'm going to be on the bench in 4 weeks and have started looking for new gigs. Having been in one gig for just over 9 months I'm shocked how rates have dropped - for experienced and senior PMs it seems to now £350 - £400 where previously it was easily £475 - £550, but there is not much advertised either - maybe the agencies do not need to advertise these roles?

As I have no warchest left, I think I will have to minimise bench time by applying for all suitable roles regardless of rate - even though I would be over qualified on a lot of them - so should I tone down my experience on my CV to improve my chances?

Also, when networking, should I mention that I am discounting my rate to improve my chances of being passed opportunities?

No and Most definitely No
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

I'm shocked how rates have dropped
      You don't read the newspapers then? There's a recession on don't you know!

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Hold tight

Saw a PM role in the midlands £300pd. Role was advertised on all the main job boards plus Reed. Reed tells you how many applied for the role and in 2 days it was 115. So if the same amount of people appled for it on the 4/5 other job boards it will give you an idea of what you may be up against.

Not quite sure what we should be doing
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          Hold tight

Saw a PM role in the midlands £300pd. Role was advertised on all the main job boards plus Reed. Reed tells you how many applied for the role and in 2 days it was 115. So if the same amount of people appled for it on the 4/5 other job boards it will give you an idea of what you may be up against.

Not quite sure what we should be doing
          ...but bear in mind a high proportion of those applicants won't get a job in a month of Sundays anyway. There is a big bunch of people out there who think that doing a PRINCE2 course or playing with MS Project makes them a project manager. It doesn't.

The dearth of jobs is due to the lack of budget, but much of the work isn't going anywhere - it still needs doing. Add to that the fact that people will drop out of the contract market and when things do turn around those still in it will be fine.

...only problem is surviving until things do turn around.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Agreed!

Did the Prince2 course the other week, have about 4 years solid PM experiance and several as a BA. About 1/2 on the course had never done project management work, did not question anything and proabably passed.

(God knows how some would cope if landed a PM role, they were all under the impression PM's just oversee and they would pass all decisions to the project board and all the support done for them by project support. Two of them said they never heard of a Business Analyst. Both were sponsored by some goverment scheme to do the course and said they would be promissed a PM role if passed! Not sure by who.)

Does not help trying to get the pimp to look at your cv amongst the other 500 CV's.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
              Agreed!

Does not help trying to get the pimp to look at your cv amongst the other 500 CV's.
              Exactly - I'm going to have to do a course, not decided between PMP or Prince 2 (2009?) yet - also have to work out how to fund it :-(

On the bright side, I applied for a role today and the agent actually phoned me back!

Whilst chatting about the market in general he said they were finding it tough as companies were taking longer to make decisions and also trying to get people direct instead of through agents, hmmmmmm
              Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 28 May 2009, 14:40.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Exactly - I'm going to have to do a course, not decided between PMP or Prince 2 (2009?) yet - also have to work out how to fund it :-(

On the bright side, I applied for a role today and the agent actually phone me back!

Whilst chatting about the market in general he said they were finding it tough as companies were taking longer to make decisions and also trying to get people direct instead of through agents, hmmmmmm
                Exactly why I did the course ( also got it at the right price) as it appears to have a 'Must Have' Don't think it has improved my skills any. May also look at doing something else whilst on the bench.

Clients are taking longer to get back to the agents - that's also true.

Comment

been on the bench for 4 months but have had 2 interviews this week so things are picking up. rates do play a part, have been asked by some agencies to go in lower as other candidates are under cutting me and told wouldnt be considered unless i did drop.

hang in there, hopefully the upturn is coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
                    been on the bench for 4 months but have had 2 interviews this week so things are picking up. rates do play a part, have been asked by some agencies to go in lower as other candidates are under cutting me and told wouldnt be considered unless i did drop.

hang in there, hopefully the upturn is coming soon.

agree. I think it's about time we heard some better news from the economy. I'm bored of listening to SkyNews every morning and reports on the latest round of job cuts / redundancies. On another note, contractors that work for next to nothing do themselves and others no favours at all. Agents and agencies love talking your rate down because by doing so they’re probably increasing their own margin. Stay firm, stick to your guns and remember how great you are.

Comment

Working...
                    X