• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damage to laptop - help required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage to laptop - help required

Hello
    I was unfortunate/stupid enough to knock my laptop (Macbook Pro) onto the floor yesterday. It still (currently) works but there's a big dent in the casing. Replacement of the casing is v. expensive. The good news is that I've got accidental damage cover on my insurance policy, but I wanted to be sure that my insurers (Esure) wouldn't be able to weasel out of paying up. What (honestly) happened is that I knocked the open laptop lid, knocking the laptop onto a wooden floor. In other words, a stupid mistake!
    I'd welcome any comments - I have experience of insurers trying every trick in the book to avoid paying, so want to be sure that there's no chance of this heppening.
    thanks
    David

Not a laptop and not with eSure (was budget) so not sure if it's helpfull but....

A few years ago I was moving my old desktop computer to another room, picked it up when I had a PDA in my shirt pocket, big crack diagonally across the screen, PDA useless.

Phoned them up and told them the truth, result was £215 of Comet vouchers to buy a new PDA with.

Despite the fact I only paid £175 for it from LetsBuyIt.com (and I told them this - fool!).
    Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey View Post
      Hello
      I was unfortunate/stupid enough to knock my laptop (Macbook Pro) onto the floor yesterday. It still (currently) works but there's a big dent in the casing. Replacement of the casing is v. expensive. The good news is that I've got accidental damage cover on my insurance policy, but I wanted to be sure that my insurers (Esure) wouldn't be able to weasel out of paying up. What (honestly) happened is that I knocked the open laptop lid, knocking the laptop onto a wooden floor. In other words, a stupid mistake!
      I'd welcome any comments - I have experience of insurers trying every trick in the book to avoid paying, so want to be sure that there's no chance of this heppening.
      thanks
      David
      Buy a PC. HTH.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

You have accidental cover and you've had an accident, what’s the issue?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Just self-insure in future. What's £200? small change.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            You have accidental cover and you've had an accident, what’s the issue?
            the issue is using a crappy insurance company like eSure when you can't be certain if they'll pay out. So I'm wondering why have the insurance in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              the issue is using a crappy insurance company like eSure when you can't be certain if they'll pay out. So I'm wondering why have the insurance in the first place?
              If you can't be sure they'd pay why have the policy with them? Only buildings insurance is compulsory.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                If you can't be sure they'd pay why have the policy with them? Only buildings insurance is compulsory.
                Motor and Employers Liabilty

And then only if you have a car or an employee

HTH
                Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 27 May 2009, 23:21. Reason: Random

Comment

Working...
                X