• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been over 2 years and been waiting for a permanent position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been over 2 years and been waiting for a permanent position

Hi,

I am confused and need some advice on any possible rights I may have.

I have been on a rolling contract for about 26 months through an agency and paid by an umbrella company (yes, I lost my expenses claims after 24 months) and have been told during that time by my manager that she wants to put me on full time and it just seems like she is bulltulipting the whole time. Now I believe that she wont put me on full time because of the fee she will have to pay my agency and she denied this, saying that she is not worried about the fee.
    Also, a month ago she asked for my agency's details so she could give me a pay rise (without me really asking her!). I waited for a while, nothing happened and then I went through my agency for the pay rise, they contacted her and she said no and she will review it in another 6 months!!!

What is going on??!?!?!

Should I just get the "message" and leave? If she didn't want me, she could easily give me the 2 weeks notice!

Any advice?

Dunno why you would want a permie job.... but if you want to know exactly where you stand tell them permie contract or you leave in a month. Then if they don't offer you a permie role you are free to bugger off and look elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Branded View Post
      Hi,

I am confused and need some advice on any possible rights I may have.

I have been on a rolling contract for about 26 months through an agency and paid by an umbrella company (yes, I lost my expenses claims after 24 months) and have been told during that time by my manager that she wants to put me on full time and it just seems like she is bulltulipting the whole time. Now I believe that she wont put me on full time because of the fee she will have to pay my agency and she denied this, saying that she is not worried about the fee.
      Also, a month ago she asked for my agency's details so she could give me a pay rise (without me really asking her!). I waited for a while, nothing happened and then I went through my agency for the pay rise, they contacted her and she said no and she will review it in another 6 months!!!

What is going on??!?!?!

Should I just get the "message" and leave? If she didn't want me, she could easily give me the 2 weeks notice!

Any advice?
      She's pulling your chain mate.

She doesn't want to fire you 'cos you're doing the job, but she doesn't want you permanent either (or pay you more money).

Basically your manager (gosh - you are a disguised permie, aren't you?) is perfectly happy with the current arrangement and just makes 'payrise' and 'permie' noises as bait to keep you where you are.

She'll do it again if you start pulling on the chain.

Get yourself another contract, put your notice in and then see what she does....

PS. - you have no 'rights' - you're a contractor FFS! Grow some balls and act like one....

(Hi, and welcome to the board, btw... )
      Last edited by cojak; 22 May 2009, 07:38.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

She doesn't want to fire you 'cos you're doing the job, but she doesn't want you permanent either (or pay you more money).

Basically your manager (gosh - you are a disguised permie, aren't you?) is perfectly happy with the current arrangement and just makes 'payrise' and 'permie' noises as bait to keep you where you are.

Get yourself another contract, put your notice in and then see what she does....

PS. - you have no 'rights' - you're a contractor FFS! Grow some balls and act like one....

We didn't need Mal after all.

I would make one cautionary note - what is the OP's situation? I worry that there are people who would in the olden-days have been agency temps, and therefore delighted to be made permanent, are now being pushed down the Umbrella Company route to circumvent the "rights" that this government have been giving them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          We didn't need Mal after all.

I would make one cautionary note - what is the OP's situation? I worry that there are people who would in the olden-days have been agency temps, and therefore delighted to be made permanent, are now being pushed down the Umbrella Company route to circumvent the "rights" that this government have been giving them.

Very true - but I'm assuming that this guy works in IT (not an unreasonable assumption).

Unless you're cleaning toilets OP - that would be different...

Using a Ltd is the only way to go...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

... a rolling contract for about 26 months ... paid by an umbrella company ... lost my expenses claims after 24 months ... pay ... pay rise ... review it in another 6 months ... she could easily give me the 2 weeks notice
            What's the problem?

Your manager is calling all the shots, you are salaried, you don't get expenses, you do not negotiate rates, you're on a notice period, you allow yourself to be subjected to reviews.

You are a permie already.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Heheh...

Yes, I am in IT (2nd line support and onsite tech)
              Gimme a break , I am new to contracting (only second contracting job).
              You seem to have hit the nail on it's head but there was a couple times that I said it could be imminent that I'll leave and she didn't seem to care. I do and I don't wan to leave. I get along with a lot of my peers but I need more cash and/or stability. I'm Australian/Italian and I need to have a stable job because I don't save cash and can't (and I wouldn't) claim benefits etc...
              I'll be happy to leave as long as I can get more pay or hours (I only work 35 p/w. £16p/h ) but I have a couple holidays planned and I'm concerned that nobody will want to hire me because of that.

What a bitch (my manager, that is).

Comment

... but there was a couple times that I said it could be imminent that I'll leave and she didn't seem to care. I do and I don't wan to leave. ...
                She really doesn't care. If you stay she won't pay you any more because why should she? You're still there. If you go, it'll be a bit of a pain for her to recruit but that's all.

(It's a bit rough and tumble round here laddie, you'll get used to it... )
                Last edited by cojak; 24 May 2009, 08:54.

Comment

Working...
                X