• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling Agents After Applying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Agents After Applying

Hi All,
    Long time reader here now to become first time poster! Just a quick 'thanks' for all the tips and guidance I have had from here over the years...

Anyhow, after sending your CV in response to a job serve add, how many times do you call the agent before cutting your losses. Applied for a job yesterday eve (which went on the boards late Fri eve) and was there this morning at 08:45, then 12:00 and now once again. Never get through of course - just get the receptionist (If not the agent himself) taking my name and passing the messages on (supposedly).

Do you think this is too desperate, or not keen enough?

Cheers.

Try to get the persons direct email address. Jobserve does sometimes lose CVs

Comment

It seems to me that unless the agency calls you within a few hours then I think you might as well forget it myself.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I tend to phone the agent first and get their email address so I can send my CV directly. This also helps sort out the fishing expeditions.

HTH
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Generally I would probably call once (twice at most). Don't worry any chance they hear of you getting a gig after they've submitted your cv, you'll have more than enough phone calls from your pimp keeping yuo nice and sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            It seems to me that unless the agency calls you within a few hours then I think you might as well forget it myself.
            I agree, I tried the phoning after each application but all I ended up with was my calls being ignored and a bigger phone bill.

Comment

Just twice if i left a message (which i try not to do) and avoid calling at lunchtime (12-2)

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                Just twice if i left a message (which i try not to do) and avoid calling at lunchtime (10:30-3:30)
                Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Cheers for all these responses. Some very interesting tips.

I've concluded from my experiences of late (As most of the posts say) that if your getting no joy after 1 or 2 calls then you can most likely write it off. Suppose it's the sheer volumes of applications flooding in.

Interestingly yesterday, after posting the above I did call back. I got another guy (not the agent advertising) who said the agent was no longer taking calls but filtering all the CVs 'and will be back to everyone shortly' (Yeah right). He did give me the guys direct email address however and recommended I sent my CV with a covering note that way.

Turned out to be an invalid address - came back undeliverable. Why waste all this time (for him and me) - a simple 'the gigs gone mate, sorry' would have done!

Comment

Best way is to add them in LinkedIn. And continue to keep in touch with them. If you have the contact details, then a quick catch up call will go a long way. If living in the same city, then setting up a meeting would be ideal as well. Hope this helps.
                    Work for Firebrand Training. Enhance your project and program management career with Prince2, PMP, ScrumMaster, MSP, Six Sigma courses. Pass First Time or Train Again for FREE

Comment

Working...
                    X