• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions and healthcare advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    ....trust me, once you've had a medical problem private health cover becomes very appealing!
    We have used it extensively in the past. a number of scans & procedures at ~£1k each etc - but I doubt if it would cover pre-existing conditions without very expensive premiums - thus the PAYG.

Comment

What I do is:

Pension:
      through company, though I am starting think that this is pants so will let this option die a slow lingering death and ramp up the ISA/Pep thingy to max.

Life insurance: None, no defendants apart from the Mrs and house is paid off so she will be ok. If I had defendants then I would have life insurance.

Dentist: Private. I just pay the fee on visiting the dentist. The NHS Dentists are pants / non-existent in this area. I was with an NHS one but the service was dire so changed.

Health insurance: None, though this maybe an idea or at least pay for a professional checkup yearly.

Work Insurance: None. Insurance against unemployment is very expensive and not cost effective.

Physical Ability insurance: Insurance against you being unable to perform work (i.e. you have become a vegetable due to some type of accident) about £40 per month from personal account. It's one thing to be out of work because there are no contracts but another to be unable to even work in Tesco's thus I think this is a good deal. Obtained from Dentist & General and pays out about £400 a week but there are lots of other options. I have claimed once for about two weeks while in hospital. No problems.

Comment

Working...
      X