• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions and healthcare advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions and healthcare advice

Over a month into my first contract and starting to think that I should start to think about the boring things like pension and healthcare. Can anyone provide any tips or point me to any links that offer advice?

Originally posted by Jonny M View Post
    Over a month into my first contract and starting to think that I should start to think about the boring things like pension and healthcare. Can anyone provide any tips or point me to any links that offer advice?
    I've been working 30 years.

I gave up on pensions 25 years ago in favour of managing my own savings.

I have never had any form of health insurance. I decided that if I ever needed anything that the HNS couldn't do for me as soon as I needed it, I would pay for it. I've spent 1000 pounds in 25 years which is about the cost of two year's premium. So, so far I am 15 grand up on the deal.

YMMV

tim
    Last edited by tim123; 3 May 2009, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

I have never had any form of health insurance. I decided that if I ever needed anything that the HNS couldn't do for me as soon as I needed it, I would pay for it. I've spent 1000 pounds in 25 years which is about the cost of two year's premium. So, so far I am 15 grand up on the deal.

YMMV

tim
      That's a perfectly fair and rational argument, good thing you didn't post this in General really.

In 18 years of contracting I've not bothered with private healthcare either (apart from dentistry which is all but impossible to get from the NHS here) and I feel I've had value for my money.

Comment

I have private healthcare, and have had to have major back and knee surgery. Without private healthcare, I probably would have topped myself rather than sit on the NHS waiting list for 6 months+

It's all a matter of what level of risk you are willing to live with.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have a stakeholder and my company pays in about the same level as myself and my employer used to pay into a company pension before I went contracting.

I considered BUPA, but decided to Pay-As-You-Go instead. Over a year in, and so far I've paid out ~£200 for my wife to have a consultation and physiotherapy - about the same as 1-2 months premiums for BUPA family cover.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
            I have a stakeholder and my company pays in about the same level as myself and my employer used to pay into a company pension before I went contracting.

I considered BUPA, but decided to Pay-As-You-Go instead. Over a year in, and so far I've paid out ~£200 for my wife to have a consultation and physiotherapy - about the same as 1-2 months premiums for BUPA family cover.
            ....trust me, once you've had a medical problem private health cover becomes very appealing!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I am 27 and have had 9 operations on my knees and 3 on my shoulder.

Thanks to the NHS (who did some of the knee operations) i have no feeling in my left leg due to a severed nerve which was undiagnosed for 4 weeks, long enough to screw the nerve up permanently.

I know you get the same surgeons with both the NHS and privately, but the level of pre and post operative care is on a different level. You also get treatment straight away, rather than long waiting lists.

As contractors we cannot afford to be out of the game for months at a time.

Medical insurance is worth every penny!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny M View Post
                If you decide to go for a pension, go for a SIPP. Do a search on this forum on the topic, it has been discussed a number of times. Regarding Health Insurance, if you do take it out, don't get your company to pay for it as it may turn out to be a Benefit in Kind.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

YMMV

tim
                  Ive been working for almost 30 years.

I have never subscribed to any pension scheme as I prefer to manage my own savings.

I have never taken out a private health scheme and have not been to a doctor since 1987 which was a waste of time anyway. I dont take anything from Big Pharma either.

Whatever you do - good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    ....trust me, once you've had a medical problem private health cover becomes very appealing!
                    Oddly enough, this is also the point when it tends to become a lot more expensive..

Comment

Working...
                    X