• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sneaky agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneaky agents

I had a voicemail left for me last week from a reputable agency saying they had some opportunities (yes plural) and that I needed to call ASAP. I'm currently in a gig and happy but called just out of interest.

Straight away when I said my name and the guy @ agency didn't instantly know why I was calling was an instant give-away. Anyway I played the game and he got onto

"so are you currently in work, currently looking for work?"...
    "yes I'm in work"...
    "do you mind if I ask who you are with?"...
    "yes its with ****"...
    "Thats good, do you mind if I ask which Agency you got that with?"..
    "Yes, are you just looking for leads?"...
    <3 second pause>
    "Am I being too obvious.. hehe>".. trying to laugh it off...
    After a bit more bollocks-talk he said he would keep me in mind for future stuff, the usual crap.. thanks for wasting my phone bill.

Anyway, had another interesting sneaky tactic tried on me last week too.. again from a reputable agency.. is this a sign of things getting bad/desperate?... They called me to say they had some opportunities coming up and could I send them an UPDATED cv with current situation on etc.. again presumably so they can collate the information on who is hiring etc.. this time I've not bothered sending it to them..

Rule #1: if an Agent calls with no specific job, it's a fishing trip...

Anyone else sensing any desperation in the Agencies?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

surprised this is first call you've had like this, seems like over a year it's been like this!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      surprised this is first call you've had like this, seems like over a year it's been like this!
      No my point is this is coming from 2 reputable agencies, not your normal run of the mill 4 man in an office blocked call number types.

Comment

Is there a difference?

T

Comment

I think I must be drunk or going mad, but I suddenly thought, "Good on em the old fellas, digging up any opportunity they can to get us back in work again"

I promptly flushed my head down the toilet to make me come to my senses, jumped up little Brill-creamed bar stewards!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            I had a voicemail left for me last week from a reputable agency saying they had some opportunities (yes plural) and that I needed to call ASAP. I'm currently in a gig and happy but called just out of interest.

Straight away when I said my name and the guy @ agency didn't instantly know why I was calling was an instant give-away. Anyway I played the game and he got onto

"so are you currently in work, currently looking for work?"...
            "yes I'm in work"...
            "do you mind if I ask who you are with?"...
            "yes its with ****"...
            "Thats good, do you mind if I ask which Agency you got that with?"..
            "Yes, are you just looking for leads?"...
            <3 second pause>
            "Am I being too obvious.. hehe>".. trying to laugh it off...
            After a bit more bollocks-talk he said he would keep me in mind for future stuff, the usual crap.. thanks for wasting my phone bill.

Anyway, had another interesting sneaky tactic tried on me last week too.. again from a reputable agency.. is this a sign of things getting bad/desperate?... They called me to say they had some opportunities coming up and could I send them an UPDATED cv with current situation on etc.. again presumably so they can collate the information on who is hiring etc.. this time I've not bothered sending it to them..

Rule #1: if an Agent calls with no specific job, it's a fishing trip...

Anyone else sensing any desperation in the Agencies?
            The best sneaky tactic is known as 'Blocking' the agent promises to send your CV to the employer as you are an 'ideal candidate' but in reality they have not sent your CV down there because the agent has already sent their max. quota of candidates to that employer and is attempting to eliminate the competition i.e. eliminate "you" from the recruitment opportunity !

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
              The best sneaky tactic is known as 'Blocking' the agent promises to send your CV to the employer as you are an 'ideal candidate' but in reality they have not sent your CV down there because the agent has already sent their max. quota of candidates to that employer and is attempting to eliminate the competition i.e. eliminate "you" from the recruitment opportunity !
              Yes Eliquant this seems to be a usual tacit..especially if they found you are a stronger candidate & margin could be lesser compared to other candidates he planned to submit...

But any way to detect this "CV blocking" ?? In case if you allow CV to be submitted by another agency as well, there is chance of CV duplication as 2 agencies submitted same CV. In which case according to pimps hiring managers will not consider that candidate at all..!! Not sure thats a reality..??

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                Yes Eliquant this seems to be a usual tacit..especially if they found you are a stronger candidate & margin could be lesser compared to other candidates he planned to submit...

But any way to detect this "CV blocking" ?? In case if you allow CV to be submitted by another agency as well, there is chance of CV duplication as 2 agencies submitted same CV. In which case according to pimps hiring managers will not consider that candidate at all..!! Not sure thats a reality..??
                More recently the roles I was being put forward to I had to sign agreements saying I would be soley represented by agency X.

Comment

More recently the roles I was being put forward to I had to sign agreements saying I would be soley represented by agency X.
                  Ok..by that agency -1 make sure we donot apply with agency-2. But even that do not guarantee that agency-1 will submit your CV to client. Since we agreed we may not apply with agency-2 & end up in a sitn where no one put forward our CV to the client..thats "cv blocking".

Comment

I had a voicemail left for me last week from a reputable agency
                    Next you will be telling us you have been getting calls from leprecahns and fairies
                    Just ask for the agreement to contain a clause that says they will have to pay a penalty of £ XXX if they don't put you forward, if they refuse you know beyond reasonable doubt they are feeding you horse manure and just trying to block you, because otherwise they would have no problem signing with such a clause

XXX = (30% Monthly rate) X 3
                    Last edited by Not So Wise; 28 April 2009, 00:16.

Comment

Working...
                    X