• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy Agency Practices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, as a newbie I didn't realise the agents had already infiltrated THIS place too...although it doesn't surprise me, I'd be doing the same in their shoes, information being power...

The DTI can make life VERY uncomfortable for rogue operators, I won't specify how or to what extent as that really would be giving ammo to the moles, I've had one agent and his manager sacked already.

Suffice to say, it's definitely worth the complaint to your local DTI office.

Jaybee.

Comment

impressions

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
      When I say profession DA, I use it in the sense of a professional pimp. Interesting though how you equate the antics of some of your fellow professionals with the most infamous serial killer in history. A bit over the top perhaps ... unless you know better of course.
      Wherever we work and whatever we do there are people who develop impressions/prejudices/stereotypes accordingly. right or wrong, fair or unfair you cannot say that Shipman's behaviour does not have an adverse effect on the medical profession as a whole.

As for me, I do not have the advantage of being automatically respected when I introduce myself as recruitment consultant anyway, as a result I dont give a tulip what people think of recruitment agencies.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee from his castle
        Ah, as a newbie I didn't realise the agents had already infiltrated THIS place too...

Jaybee.
        Listen newbie, I have been here a long time so just watch your step. And btw what good is blubbing to the DTI going to do, other than give them an excuse to justify their existence?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          Listen newbie, I have been here a long time so just watch your step.
          Or else?

And btw what good is blubbing to the DTI going to do, other than give them an excuse to justify their existence?
          Nice try, sunshine, but you'll find out offline, not on.

Jaybee.

Comment

Yawn... Can you two take your handbags elsewhere please.

And FWIW, I'm with Dodgy for once. If it's contractors getting the grief, it's the contractors that need to take it up with the trade bodies. All HMG will do is prevaricate and then either do nothing or bring in pointless and ineffective new rules.

Of course, that assumes that contractors can think for themselves. Increasingly, I get the feeling that is not the case!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              Yawn... Can you two take your handbags elsewhere please.

And FWIW, I'm with Dodgy for once. If it's contractors getting the grief, it's the contractors that need to take it up with the trade bodies. All HMG will do is prevaricate and then either do nothing or bring in pointless and ineffective new rules.
              Untrue. The DTI has sharper teeth than that. I've seen them bite once already, and they'll use them again. I suspect dodgy-boy realises this too and is trying (and failing) to discredit what he can't silence.

The net is closing, the word's already out on the wire lads.

Jaybee.

Comment

You're going to tell the DTI about the nasty agent trying to make money out of you? Why not take it a step further and go round his house and tell his mum what's he doing?

Originally posted by Jaybee from his castle
                Ah, as a newbie I didn't realise the agents had already infiltrated THIS place too...although it doesn't surprise me, I'd be doing the same in their shoes, information being power...

The DTI can make life VERY uncomfortable for rogue operators, I won't specify how or to what extent as that really would be giving ammo to the moles, I've had one agent and his manager sacked already.

Jaybee.

Comment

I'm not saying the DTI doesn't have teeth. I am saying that since contractors are some 20% of the IT manpower resource, it's about time we started taking some responsbility for our own working conditions - and if that means ganging up on the bad agents via their trade bodies, then we should do so. We go on to the DTI when the ATSCo and REC people have proven themselves to be ineffective - so that's about three weeks later, on current performance.

Anyway, cowboy agents are identifiable and can be ignored and/or named and shamed. The real problem is the three of four big agencies who are trying to take over the whole market place.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Suggestion

We've listed all the bad practices that agents get up to. But, just for balance, do any of the agents want to list some of the bad practices that contractors do ?

I know this is a site for contractors and also I am a contractor.

Even if we dont agree, its always interesting to see things from the opposite person's point of view.

The results of this should be that either we have a bigger slanging match or we have an American style group hug .

Comment

Originally posted by Arun V
                      We've listed all the bad practices that agents get up to. But, just for balance, do any of the agents want to list some of the bad practices that contractors do ?
                      : .
                      How long have you got?

Comment

Working...
                      X