• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Implications On Next Contract...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implications On Next Contract...

Question - what is the perception of the role seeker when looking for the next contract (IT PM) if the current contract is cut short or not re-newed due to delivery running late and over budget for explainable reasons, and there is possibility of being canned or new resources being brought on ?

That is my scenario, although the outside constraints leading to the delays have been beyond my control and level and had been flagged upwards weekly for the last 3 months.

Is it wise to look to move on now or see what happens ? I don't want to appear to be jumping ship however.

More importantly could this affect looking for the next contract in an already overloaded market ?

Thanks.

You don't divulge anything that could make you look bad. You tell a white lie if required.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Question - what is the perception of the role seeker when looking for the next contract (IT PM) if the current contract is cut short or not re-newed due to delivery running late and over budget for explainable reasons, and there is possibility of being canned or new resources being brought on ?

That is my scenario, although the outside constraints leading to the delays have been beyond my control and level and had been flagged upwards weekly for the last 3 months.

Is it wise to look to move on now or see what happens ? I don't want to appear to be jumping ship however.

More importantly could this affect looking for the next contract in an already overloaded market ?

Thanks.
      I would stay, as you are being paid. If you leave without another contract to go to you could be on the bench with no income for a while.
      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        You don't divulge anything that could make you look bad. You tell a white lie if required.
        WHS. Don't tell them you're crap, let 'em find out. Works a treat

Comment

cut short or not re-newed due to delivery running late and over budget for explainable reasons
          I am thinking that if you'd been any good at explaining the reasons, they wouldn't have given you the boot as PM...

Comment

I am thinking that if you'd been any good at explaining the reasons, they wouldn't have given you the boot as PM...
            possibly but it could be a result of initial assumptions assumed at the initiation stage or due to scope change during the project- if these were documented then your azz is covered ---- to a point.

However it would seem to me that regardless of the actual situation the project is over run and over budget and as such someone needs to be blamed (God forbid that as a project team you could all take responsibility for the problems)

So you are blamed so you go

Permie managers may or may not have their asses covered however they have tongued enough of their senior managers ass not to get in to bother for it and everyone is happy.

Except you

Hey ho such is life.

Comment

I have been the sacrificial calf on a project. It was a £10 million job that got to £17m and counting. I got bulleted and actually despite having had almost nothing to do with the actual project, I was on other work! It went on my CV as a 4 month gig. If asked about it, the answer- "it was a 6 monther that I did in 4 months, the client was very happy as I finished everything early for them, saved a load of money" etc.......
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
              X