• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Media / Web Dev Contracting - Worth Leaving Perm Role to go Contracting Mid Nov?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Media / Web Dev Contracting - Worth Leaving Perm Role to go Contracting Mid Nov?

Hi Guys, thinking of going from perm to contracting in a months time (mid-nov after notice period) with strong new media / agency web developer front (html, css) and backend (asp / vb.net / xml / xslt) experience (3yrs) for big brand clients.

Question is what’s the market like overall at moment and is it worth going for it mid-nov or waiting for beginning of Jan (good time for permies). Heard mixed comments sating that work dries up over xmas and New Year is this correct?

Also thinking of going back to umbrella using company called Liberty Bishop, their charges are on the below link, these expensive?

http://www.libertybishop.co.uk/costs.html

Would be good for any umbrella co. recommendations for dealing with my market rates of around £200-250 day too?

Cheers for your advice

As youll probably find out when you go contracting, the only thing that is guaranteed is that at some point youll pay tax.

At the moment id say the market for .Net is bouyant and you should be able to find something that will tide you over the traditionally quiet holiday period into the new year.. ideally find something that takes you to March / April... financial years tend to start, budgets are released and projects are kicked off. It also depends on your location, willingness to travel (to get that first contract) and any specific business knowledge that makes you stand out.

That being said, ive even had calls from agents on boxing day... and although it says '6 month contract' on your piece of paper the client could terminate at reasonably short notice - agencies are also notorious for putting in restrictive clauses for people just starting out - e.g. 'cannot work through for the client unless its through us for 2 years', and charging high margins, although preferred supplier agreements sometimes fix their percentage.

Whatever you do have, enough money to pay the rent, bills and food for 3 months or so, preferably longer. Maybe plan ahead now by saving up cash and working on certifications etc in preparation for next year.

Looking back to when i started out I would probably suggest an umbrella company first - I did the Ltd company route and it was confusing at first. Ive used ParasolIT recently and they were reliable and easy to deal with. I havent heard of the umbrella company you mention...

A contractors CV is often substantially in different in layout from a permies... id suggest getting a PAYG mobile and a secondary email account, using those on your CV, and posting it on jobserve, jobsite, etc and see what sort of reaction you get. If you dont get much response rewrite your CV - you should tend to do that for direct applications anyway.

Oh, and dont trust anybody. Including former employers for references - I use people I trust in positions of responsibility in the companies Ive worked for for direct references, rather than neccessarily my immediate manager. I still keep in touch with people I used to work with socially, as one they are friends, two they are possible leads, and three they are references I can trust. I return the favour by offering a bit of free consultancy and tips on the job market.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

very comprehensive advice So it is possible to get good answers once in a while!

Comment

Oi! They're always good answers.

Problem is, they don't always answer the question...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the advice mcquiggd, much appriciated!!! Notice being worked as i type, must admit it's a liberating feeling handing my notice in after all these years as a permie. Fingers X .

Broogie

Comment

Working...
          X