• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best sites for contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best sites for contracts

Looking for a new gig - just wondered what sites people where checking?

There's no work, so the websites are full of mediocre to low paying staff jobs that have been there for months. I haven't see a gig worth applying for for a few months now.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      There's no work
      I think the work is being sent directly to contractors who are already on the agencies' contact lists. No need for them to advertise as there are plenty of available people at the moment. So, the work is there, but there are too many people wanting to do it. If that makes sense.

Possibly best thing would be to really smarten up your CV and post it on Monster, LinkedIn, Jobserve... maybe send it directly to a few of the bigger agencies and to any previous clients or their preferred agencies. Just hope it lands in someone's inbox at exactly the same time as a new role which happens to perfectly match.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        I think the work is being sent directly to contractors who are already on the agencies' contact lists. No need for them to advertise as there are plenty of available people at the moment. So, the work is there, but there are too many people wanting to do it. If that makes sense.

Possibly best thing would be to really smarten up your CV and post it on Monster, LinkedIn, Jobserve... maybe send it directly to a few of the bigger agencies and to any previous clients or their preferred agencies. Just hope it lands in someone's inbox at exactly the same time as a new role which happens to perfectly match.
        Possibly correct and a good strategy. However, in my area of expertise projects have been canned, major clients and contracting houses have either largely demanned or closed completely.

Comment

No work

I agree, there is very little work at all. I've been benched for about a week now and it seems that there is nothing to apply for. Job boards seem to be full of fake ads. I've had a very low volume of calls from clients and agents.

I'm not sure how many people are on the bench, but it's a large proportion of the contracting population. for sure I had an interview for the NHS last week. The agent haggeled me down to a 30% rate cut, but I was still beaten on rate! Proving there must be some very desperate people out there.

Contract rates have plummeted and are now around they level they were 10 years ago, and they are falling.

Best of luck. You're going to need it.

Comment

The agent haggeled me down to a 30% rate cut, but I was still beaten on rate! Proving there must be some very desperate people out there.
            I am finding now that a likely rate is never revealed, it is a case of "name your rate". I'm guessing that the rates clients are paying has dropped slightly or not at all, but the rates paid to the contractor are under huge pressure downwards. Jobs are going to the lowest bidder now rather than the best person, I feel. The few jobs that are around seem to be on about 40% less than my current rate negotiated in May 08, that's when I actually manage to find out a rate for the job. I'm bracing myself for a rate cut if I'm extended beyond the current end date of June 09.

Comment

Originally posted by DocP View Post
              I agree, there is very little work at all. I've been benched for about a week now and it seems that there is nothing to apply for. Job boards seem to be full of fake ads. I've had a very low volume of calls from clients and agents.

I'm not sure how many people are on the bench, but it's a large proportion of the contracting population. for sure I had an interview for the NHS last week. The agent haggeled me down to a 30% rate cut, but I was still beaten on rate! Proving there must be some very desperate people out there.

Contract rates have plummeted and are now around they level they were 10 years ago, and they are falling.

Best of luck. You're going to need it.
              My experience too... like others, I would regularly field calls from agents with work. Now it is utterly dead. Whatever I try is demoralisingly fruitless (sp?)

Back to freelancing now. Should keep me going for a bit (a nice long holiday first)

Bon Chance All !

Comment

Also remember guys that its coming to the end of the financial year which is typically a quiet time. The last few weeks have been dead but I have noticed a slight increase in vacancies this last week. I would expect things to start to pick up in a few weeks.

I'm also getting the comments from agents that they know positions are coming up next month. Could be bull but it makes sense.

Comment

Jobs are going to the lowest bidder now rather than the best person, I feel.

Fred there is an old adage - when in recession - discount and discount heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by DocP View Post
                    I've been benched for about a week now and it seems that there is nothing to apply for.
                    Count yourself lucky that you've only been benched for a week. I've been benched since early December 08. Some have been benched for a lot longer. If I were you, I would stop moaning and moping around. Just keep your eyes open for the roles on Jobserve, CWJobs, Monster and even PlanetRecruit. Something will come along eventually.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X