• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract To Permy Salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    the other 60 days go to, take your pick
    1. Job Security
    2. Be 'sick' whenever you want
    3. Other Benefits
    okie...so you're trading in cash for intangibles, more or less. in straight money terms, you're much worse off?

Comment

Here's a thought - you could charge a contractor rate and buy medical insurance, pensions and pay for days off sick.

If you wouldn't consider doing that with your own money then I'd question the value of having it deducted at source by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
        Here's a thought - you could charge a contractor rate and buy medical insurance, pensions and pay for days off sick.

If you wouldn't consider doing that with your own money then I'd question the value of having it deducted at source by someone else.
        As a general principle that probably right, though in my case not. Of course this is only due to my particular circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
          the other 60 days go to, take your pick
          1. Job Security
          2. Be 'sick' whenever you want
          3. Other Benefits
          Be sick whenerver you want ?

Not true - I worked as a so called perm - or should I say 'contract of unspecified duration' - HR was forever pulling up staff who called in 'sick' they gave verbald and written warnings for anybody with over 5 days sicks per year withoug Doctor Notes - the days of not turning up because you cant face a day at the office - are being closed down by HR.

Thank goodness if I now fail to turn up for work - I tdont get paid - so in the past year Ive had - half a day off work through illness.

Comment

IMHO permie job security is pretty much non-existent these days, and don't expect more than the square root of bugger-all in redundancy unless you have been employed for at least 2 years...

Comment

Originally posted by arty View Post
              IMHO permie job security is pretty much non-existent these days, and don't expect more than the square root of bugger-all in redundancy unless you have been employed for at least 2 years...
              It's 1 year now, has been for a while, but then all they have to give you legally is 90 days notice and 1 weeks pay for every year worked (more if your older, like 2 weeks i think).

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                WHS. I went permie in Jan. Managed to get better than 1000 * hourly rate on the salary plus usual benefits so although I'm earning less than I was I'm still effectivly within the range I would have considered for a contract day rate.

My personal view is that the market is going to be tuliped for 18 months or so, so I'm keeping my head down in what I'm treating as an 18 month IR35 caught contract.

When the market picks up again next year I'll look to jump back to contracting again.
                I've just done the same, gone back to permy work after best part of 3 years contracting. Started off at this place in the first 3 weeks as a contractor and then they offered me a full time permy salary as they needed someone there permanently not on a contract basis.

I took it for the exact same reasons as above plus its a doddle to get to and from work and the 1000 * hourly rate ratio matches what my last hourly rate was, hols and other perks are fine, so I'm OK with it.

Can not see things getting much better for at least 12-18 months or so in the current climate, and got fed up being on the bench even though I did a couple of training courses and also read loads and loads of posts on here and elsewhere "that come the spring / autumn (delete as appropriate) it will pick up again" could'nt see it myself as I remember the downturn after Y2k.

Another question though, as I am back in permy work, I was thinking of ditching my accountants as salary/NI/PAYE etc will all be done with the company I am now working for, and possibly winding my company down or at least end the agreement with the accountants and just keep the company name as there is always the possibility that I might go back to contracting in the future, is this the right thing to do, anyone been in the same position?

Cheers.

Comment

I went Perm to Contract 9 years ago it was £28ph to £36k
                  Coming back the other way 18 months ago it was £46k to £36ph

Comment

Working...
                  X