• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job searching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job searching

Quite new to contracting - finished a contract at end of Jan and have been unable to find another one since. Use Jobserve and TheITJobBoard during the day (most jobs on both) but finding very few roles that are suitable.

Also, posted my CV on various job sites (have had a couple of enquiries) and also look directly on Comapny websites at vacancies.

What does everyone else do to look for jobs? I'm finding that the process of searching doen't really take that long each day and finding I can't do much else than wait for roles to come up on Jobserve.....I'm getting bored!

Originally posted by Reporter View Post
    Quite new to contracting - finished a contract at end of Jan and have been unable to find another one since. Use Jobserve and TheITJobBoard during the day (most jobs on both) but finding very few roles that are suitable.

Also, posted my CV on various job sites (have had a couple of enquiries) and also look directly on Comapny websites at vacancies.

What does everyone else do to look for jobs? I'm finding that the process of searching doen't really take that long each day and finding I can't do much else than wait for roles to come up on Jobserve.....I'm getting bored!
    Just sit tight and keep on applying for jobs. Nowt you can do to speed things up. We are in an economic downturn... fewer jobs than a few months ago.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Much much harder than it was.

Any job is attracting a lot more applications - my personal opinion is that it is going to be a very poor year.

But look on the bright side - lots of time off Spain for month for starters.

Comment

If you are running your own limited you should be cold calling all possible clients in your area to see if they need your skills.

If you are simply an employee looking for work continue as you are - or alternatively contact all the prospective employers in your area and see what is available.

In times like this many companies will dig through previous applicants etc to see if they can get someone with the correct skill set as opposed to calling an agency/placing an ad as it is cheaper.

It may be you call/e-mail them just when they discover a need for someone with your skills.

Whatever you do good luck!

Comment

If you have so much free time how about starting a blog, updating your Linked In profile, phone every company in the yellow pages. This is probably the worst I have ever known the market in 9 years. I haven't had a call from an agent in months, not even to say hello.

I have noticed that half of the jobs coming up on Jobswerve and the like are the same recycled "farming" adverts.

I have a mate who just finished a gig in January and has decided to take the year off, as there is no hope for any work with his skills in the current market place.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Thanks for the constructive comments, much appreciated. While it's easy for me to blame the credit crunch for the lack of jobs, I need to try and keep my self as proactive as possible......so will do as suggested and start cold calling.

It's even tempting to think about changing career, but to be honest I don't think the problem is just IT, it across the board, so it's probably no easier to find work in another industry.

Also, I don't think it's any easier to get an IT perm job either.

Comment

You could try enjoying yourself and realising that very few are able to have the same amount of time off. You could use the time to learn new skills to make yourself more employable? Or learn to do something you've always wanted to?

Shag a hooker? Learn to dive? Get fit?

Endless possibilities.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                You could try enjoying yourself and realising that very few are able to have the same amount of time off.
                Good point. I spent many a day on my 2hr round trip commutes into London last year thinking "wouldn't it be nice to take 6 months off".

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                  Shag a hooker?
                  Good point.....At least someone will get some work and increase in Economic activity....

Comment

I wonder if Hookers are feeling the downturn like the rest of us?
                    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                    "See?"

Comment

Working...
                    X