• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Job searching

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job searching"

Collapse

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Pubs in Minehead were really busy a couple of weeks ago - put our local to shame.
    Probably the locals making the most of them while they can before the Brummie invasion

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    A drive across Somerset last weekend took me past village after village with closed pubs.
    Pubs in Minehead were really busy a couple of weeks ago - put our local to shame.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    A drive across Somerset last weekend took me past village after village with closed pubs.
    Quite a few village pubs around Frome have gone in the last year including my own village local, the Sun Inn at Whatley. The pub co sold it on with a covenant stipulating that it could never be used as a pub again. Very sad, part of village life gone.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Seems not - I met a hooker from Glasgow the other day , she tells me business is so good - if she had another pair of legs she would open uip in Edinburgh.

PS for the seasonsed veterans like myself who have seen a few recessions come and go - you will find that businesses such as Alcohol, cigareetes, druges, entertainment do well as people turn more to escapism.
    So why is punch taverns share price down 80%? Maybe they are doing so well that they want to sell their best sites for fun rather than an emergency cash injection...

My favourite pub is down on last years figures by a fair margin, and another very good pub in a local village went tits up before Christmas. I was talking to a chap in the pub game and he was saying that Green king are starting to make offers like a year free of rent and no beer tie ins. I have been looking at going into the trade for a few years now. The pub view is that brewers will be extending lines of credit to existing landlords over the next few months despite dipping turnover, hoping that a warm summer brings in more summer punters. In short a wet summer will see many more pubs go to the wall...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I wonder if Hookers are feeling the downturn like the rest of us?

Seems not - I met a hooker from Glasgow the other day , she tells me business is so good - if she had another pair of legs she would open uip in Edinburgh.

PS for the seasonsed veterans like myself who have seen a few recessions come and go - you will find that businesses such as Alcohol, cigareetes, druges, entertainment do well as people turn more to escapism.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 March 2009, 09:24.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    They have their ups and downs.

igmc

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    Shag a hooker?
    Good point.....At least someone will get some work and increase in Economic activity....

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    You could try enjoying yourself and realising that very few are able to have the same amount of time off.
    Good point. I spent many a day on my 2hr round trip commutes into London last year thinking "wouldn't it be nice to take 6 months off".

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    You could try enjoying yourself and realising that very few are able to have the same amount of time off. You could use the time to learn new skills to make yourself more employable? Or learn to do something you've always wanted to?

Shag a hooker? Learn to dive? Get fit?

Endless possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• Reporter
    replied
    Thanks for the constructive comments, much appreciated. While it's easy for me to blame the credit crunch for the lack of jobs, I need to try and keep my self as proactive as possible......so will do as suggested and start cold calling.

It's even tempting to think about changing career, but to be honest I don't think the problem is just IT, it across the board, so it's probably no easier to find work in another industry.

Also, I don't think it's any easier to get an IT perm job either.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    If you have so much free time how about starting a blog, updating your Linked In profile, phone every company in the yellow pages. This is probably the worst I have ever known the market in 9 years. I haven't had a call from an agent in months, not even to say hello.

I have noticed that half of the jobs coming up on Jobswerve and the like are the same recycled "farming" adverts.

I have a mate who just finished a gig in January and has decided to take the year off, as there is no hope for any work with his skills in the current market place.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    If you are running your own limited you should be cold calling all possible clients in your area to see if they need your skills.

If you are simply an employee looking for work continue as you are - or alternatively contact all the prospective employers in your area and see what is available.

In times like this many companies will dig through previous applicants etc to see if they can get someone with the correct skill set as opposed to calling an agency/placing an ad as it is cheaper.

It may be you call/e-mail them just when they discover a need for someone with your skills.

Whatever you do good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Much much harder than it was.

Any job is attracting a lot more applications - my personal opinion is that it is going to be a very poor year.

But look on the bright side - lots of time off Spain for month for starters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X