• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding client/contract - how to get those leads and secure direct contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding client/contract - how to get those leads and secure direct contract?

Hi All,

Here we go again - some dumb@rse question from a newbie, I hear you say! Okay, it's hardly a new question, I know, but I would love to hear how people find some of their contracts.

And don't tell me to contact some agency!!

I'm looking to go direct with clients and find a contract off my own back. I want nothing to do with agencies if I can help it.

I work in a somewhat niche area, and know who the potential clients are, but short of emailing some HR waste-of-space, I need to know who to contact direct. Who should I be looking for? The 'Outsourcing Manager'? 'Contracts Manager'?

I know many of you like to play your cards close to your chest, but I would be grateful for any tips.

Obviously it will help if you have contacts within the organisation, or you have worked their before -but how do you approach them without these 2 factors? Okay, should I just look up "Contracts Manager" @ company X and hope he's the right one to contact?

And once you have found the right person in company X, how do you convince them that they want to take you on direct? It's all about marketing I know, but half of the time these large blue chip companies don't give a stuff whether they pay 30% for your services via an agency. It's all about following procedure etc etc. In this case how do you convince them to take you on direct?

Thanks in advance for your smart@ss answers!

Any constructive feedback is welcomed, or any links to previous posts (I couldn't really find any nuggets)

PC

I think there was a thread a while back that dealt with this question. Usually contractors who negotiate their own contracts with clients have some previous, or current relationship with them. For example I'm starting to leave my business cards with agency sort clients and network with them throughout the year in case they need my skills in the future.

Another example I can give involves a contractor who worked for a client via an agency, then took leave for a couple of months to get out of the handcuff clause the agency had written into the contract, and came back under his own steam.

If you don't have previous relationships with possible clients in your niche sector I suggest you do the same as any other business: Network widely. Go to all the business events and seminars you think these potential clients will attend, take stacks of business cards, prepare your elevator pitch, have a media package printed and hand them out. Have you got a website? If not get one. Do you publish a regular newsletter relevant to businesses in your sector? If not why not. In other words, market your business, get potential clients to be hearing your name on the grapevine so that when you approach them you won't be a complete unknown, in fact, if they have a project that requires your skills, as your name is so well known, they contact you direct rather than the other way round.

You can also approach a local business group or professional association and ask if you can give a talk about problems facing your niche area (but not your skills). I've done this in the past and found work, though at the time I wasn't in a position to take it.

However be warned (and you may not like this but any business book about setting up on your own will testify), where you alone are responsible for finding work, it usually takes 6 to twelve months before work starts coming in, that's 6 to twelve months spending money on marketing, printing promotional material and attending networking events etc., and it can take a further 18 months or more before you have enough regular clients to actually make a livable salary, never mind taking your business into profit.

Setting up and marketing a business is never easy and requires a lot of hard work and a financial commitment, especially in the first year or two.

Personally I've found the books by Alan Weiss to be helpful, especially 1)Getting Started in Consulting, 2)How to Acquire Clients: Powerful Techniques for the Successful Practitioner, and 3)Process Consulting: How to Launch, Implement, and Conclude Successful Consulting Projects. They are heavily US orientated and, to be honest, they don't say much more that what I've already said above ie: Market - Market - Market!
    Last edited by Scotchpie; 14 February 2009, 15:18.

Comment

Some companies also have a policy that you must go through an agent.

I had an interview via contacting a line manager at a place I'd worked at before, a different manager but i knew the name of the department I needed to get through to and new they were advertising as an agent had previoulsy told me about it - he said he would put me forwards but I didn't hear anything, so i tried myself.

Interview went well until she said 'of course you'll need to go through the agency, are you ok with that', Unfortuntaly I lost it a bit at the thought of just handing an agent a percentage after i'd got myself the interview etc etc and threw a strop.

I'm direct at the mo, which came about through staying in contact with quite a senior guy on a recent project, we got on well, when he moved on he gave me a call.

I'd also say if you are just cold calling, its a complete and utter thankless, demoralising task, let the agents do it thats what they are good at, thats what there cut is for.

Whilst we love to hate agents, most of us couldn't sell food in a famine, which is why they are there.

Comment

I've been direct a couple of times, both came about due to former colleagues moving onto pastures new - so word of mouth i guess, make sure all your present and old colleagues know what you're doing and you're contactable maybe even via linked in or something.

hth

Comment

I'd have starved by now if I'd stuck with this strategy I'm afraid.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by PharmaContractor View Post
            Hi All,

Here we go again - some dumb@rse question from a newbie, I hear you say! Okay, it's hardly a new question, I know, but I would love to hear how people find some of their contracts.

And don't tell me to contact some agency!!

I'm looking to go direct with clients and find a contract off my own back. I want nothing to do with agencies if I can help it.

I work in a somewhat niche area, and know who the potential clients are, but short of emailing some HR waste-of-space, I need to know who to contact direct. Who should I be looking for? The 'Outsourcing Manager'? 'Contracts Manager'?

I know many of you like to play your cards close to your chest, but I would be grateful for any tips.

Obviously it will help if you have contacts within the organisation, or you have worked their before -but how do you approach them without these 2 factors? Okay, should I just look up "Contracts Manager" @ company X and hope he's the right one to contact?

And once you have found the right person in company X, how do you convince them that they want to take you on direct? It's all about marketing I know, but half of the time these large blue chip companies don't give a stuff whether they pay 30% for your services via an agency. It's all about following procedure etc etc. In this case how do you convince them to take you on direct?

Thanks in advance for your smart@ss answers!

Any constructive feedback is welcomed, or any links to previous posts (I couldn't really find any nuggets)

PC

You can tell you're new to this game!

Get on the telephone and start phoning around. If you achieve a 'success' rate of 2 in 100 calls you'll be doing very well. BTW a 'success' in this instance is getting more than just serious expressions of interest or a foot in the door.

Personally, I think you're living a pipe dream if you think a newby is going to be able to go direct. But good luck all the same.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              You can tell you're new to this game!

Get on the telephone and start phoning around. If you achieve a 'success' rate of 2 in 100 calls you'll be doing very well. BTW a 'success' in this instance is getting more than just serious expressions of interest or a foot in the door.

Personally, I think you're living a pipe dream if you think a newby is going to be able to go direct. But good luck all the same.
              WHS. Ideological dreams won't help you if you don't have any contacts (even though you say you know your clients ) As a niche player you're even more stuffed due to limited possibilities. Get to know the agencies who can help get you through the door. After 5-10 years of making a reputation then you can try going direct with some chance of success. Anyways, now you'll have loads of time to think about it, whilst dossing on the bench.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all for the info so far.

I'm a newbie to CUK, not contracting. Been a contractor before in Euroland, but currently am a permie, looking to getting back into contracting. Last time though I was 100% reliant on agencies, but would like to think that I have at least a small chance of going out on my own, naive as it may seem. But if you don't try...

Have a good repuation amongst some companies (I would like to think anyway), but a lot of this reputation is compartmentalised in foreign HR depts, who often don't appear to liaise with their counterparts abroad.

Do many of you lot use LinkedIn.com to source contacts at potential clients? Any other online resources you use in locating the right people at clients?

Interesting survey by PCG (2004):

"According to PCG’s latest annual membership and satisfaction survey,
                commissioned in May 2004, 11% of respondents procured all of their
                work and a further 35% most of their work through agencies. This
                contrasted sharply with only 4% who got all or most of their projects
                through direct marketing, with referrals and renewals from existing
                clients faring somewhere between the two extremes."

It also goes onto web marketing:

"Only 7% of respondents to PCG’s survey
                declared that they got some of their work from
                their websites, with no less than 71% saying that
                none of their work came from their websites."

I'm suprised it's that high at 7%. I can't see many HR bods/recruiting managers surfing the net to find people. The only people that ever contact me via my site are simply CV collectors (agencies).

Back to my bench then...
                Last edited by PharmaContractor; 15 February 2009, 05:07. Reason: Addtional Info

Comment

Originally posted by PharmaContractor View Post

It also goes onto web marketing:

"Only 7% of respondents to PCG’s survey
                  declared that they got some of their work from
                  their websites, with no less than 71% saying that
                  none of their work came from their websites."

I'm suprised it's that high at 7%. I can't see many HR bods/recruiting managers surfing the net to find people. The only people that ever contact me via my site are simply CV collectors (agencies).
                  Sounds like you are marketing yourself as a Temp rather than a professional company able to offer goods and services then.

I'd say that 7% seems so horrifically low because most "Contractors" are temps that somehow, because they work in IT, dont consider themselves low enough to be deemed temps. Thinking as a professional Co who just haven't expanded enough yet to require additional staff is the way to start.

Most of the people i deal with through my website are surprised to learn thats its just currently just me, myself and I as thats not how i market my Ltd. These people wouldnt have considered a one man band, but once we've struck up a dialog, the deal is normally done. This sometimes backfires as i have been approached for jobs that would require the resources of a 'proper' company so i have to politely decline - always breaks my heart that, as in these days of cheap labour readily available i could do it if i had the balls.

So you just need to ask where you want to go with it - are you realistically wanting to work solely as a 'temp' - if so, agencies are your best route. If not, then agencies are still the best route in the meantime as you slowly build up a reliable client base.

When i originally jacked my job in years ago to go it alone i had the same starry eyed idea that i was going to do this all myself and build up a business. 12 months down the line, after i'd spent all my money and we were on the last of the wifes savings i had to admit defeat, contact the pimps and concede that it was going to take time.

Comment

Your ex colleagues will be your best marketing tool. Make sure you keep in contact with the decision makers and other members of projects that you work on. Using tools liked Linked in is a good idea. Then you can easily ask around in the event that you want to start looking for your next role. They get your CV in and it goes to the _TOP_ of the pile due to personal recommendations and there's your new contract.

What it does mean
                    You can't be a prat once on site as your behaviour is no longer just your problem...
                    You _have_ to make the point of finishing the assignments that you start...
                    You _have_ to make sure you generate leads for other people as well as asking for them...

Cold calling is a mugs game...

Comment

Working...
                    X